A Little sick to my stomach

by dssynergy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I just heard from my family that my little nephew, going to turn 8 soon, just joined the ministry school. I felt a little sick when I heard. So starts the panting on the treadmill and the "faith by works" routine that leads to IMHO, superficial christianity.

Anyway, I guess they have to "interview" people now when they join the ministry school. Here's how it went:

Elder: "Why do you want to joint the TMS?"

Nephew: Because I want to live in Paradise.

Elder: Ok, so do we celebrate birthdays or Christmas?

Nephew: No, I don't celebrate birthdays. Besides, I don't really like chocolate.

Elder: What about vanilla?

[cue cheesey laughter]

So it went. On the one hand, I think, well, it will be good training in public speaking. On the other hand I just cringe. His dad is sort of out to lunch and leaves everything to the step mother who is a self-righteous crazy extreamist who (my nephew has said) tells him that his mother isn't really a JW because she doesn't go to meeting; and neither is his dad because he struggles with meetings too.

Then he looks at me with big crocodile tears and says "I don't want my dad to diiiiee." All I can say to him is that it is not her place to say who is a witness and who is not, and that God reads our hearts.

I guess at this point I am just sensitive because I know that my whole life I silently questioned what I was taught and then got baptised under peer pressure from my family. Now, I am old enough to start dismantling things, and really taking a look. I just hate to see him go down the same road I did. And I hope, that I can, in some small way, encourage him to really think his decisions through and encourage him to wait until he is older to make a dedication ~ if that is what he chooses to do.

I guess this is part of the pain of the conscious class of JW. We are "in" and "out" at the same time. He is the reason I stick around. I wish I didn't love the kid so damn much, it would make walking away so much easier. But it is too late, and I can't help myself. He is just one of the best little people I know, and I can't imagine walking away knowing what I am leaving him to sort out alone.

Any words of Wisdom from the Peanut Gallery are very much appreciated.

DS

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Then he looks at me with big crocodile tears and says "I don't want my dad to diiiiee." All I can say to him is that it is not her place to say who is a witness and who is not, and that God reads our hearts.

Some thoughts..

1. Maybe add the Bible doesn't say going to meetings is required, let alone to avoid retribution from a trigger-happy gawd.
    2. Wouldn't true Christians only follow what Jesus said, rather than what was said by writers of books added to the Bible by the Catholics?

I always wondered why Xians seem to have made a religion based upon their own teachings and those of others in the Bible, rather than just Jesus.

Did Jesus object to homosexuality? Did he mention going door-to-door? Did he say not to celebrate Xmas? etc.

If your nephew just realizes #2, he would be freed.

• Mary
    Mary

I know how you feel. I just found out last night that one of my best friends' grandkids is getting dunked today at the ASSembly. He's 9 years old.

It's sad and pathetic that the step-mother seems to have full control over this kid. It's horrifying that they tell little kids that if they don't go to all the meetings, join the MS, and knock on doors Saturday morning, that God is going to murder them "soooooon".

• Chalam
    Chalam

It is described here

James 2:14-18 (New International Version)

Faith and Deeds
    14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. Loud and clear. JWs claim to have faith but there are no deeds, certainly not how the bible describes them.

18 But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
    Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

True faith is show by these deeds, caring for the homeless, the sick, the poor, the needy etc. JWs have no deeds and actually it is no surprise to find they have not faith, not the faith that is right at the start of the chapter.

James 2:1 (New International Version)

1 My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ Blessings, Stephen
  • dssynergy
    dssynergy

Thanks for the input. If I tell him, at this age, that the Bible doesn't say anything about doing much of what is required by JWs, all Hell would break loose and I would be shunned from my family for sure. The SIL is a real piece of work. Her father is a "partaker", and the whole family has this self-righteous holier than thou additude.

For example, last year at the kids play, the music teacher was complimenting one of the SIL's girls about her singing and dancing skills. My SIL's sister, jumps in with," well we just hope that she grow up to be a minister of God," or some such nonesense. I thought, "OMG, no wonder people think we are brainwashed."

@Mary ~ I am so sorry to hear that. I really hope that isn't the way it goes down for my nephews. He is an innocent, sweet young boy. And I hate to see that used against him.

@Stephen ~ It always did bother me that JWs don't have any sort of outreach to the community other than preaching. I mean, I have done street work, and see those kids on the street. It breaks my heart. But there is no organized outreach to the homeless or less fortunate. Going house to house is fine, IF someone HAS a house. But what if they don't??

Didn't Jesus feed 5,000 before he preached to them? People cannot concentrate on spiritual matters if their basic needs like food, shelter and clothing are not met.

UGH>

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I joined the Ministry School at about 6-7Years old..

Did I want to join?..Of course!

JW Parents can beat any answer they want out of you..

And..

I had no idea what I was talking about from the stage..

I simply read the words my mom printed out for me..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

Ahh what is it with self-rightious controling stepmothers? I have one too.. I tried to atleast FAKE I beleived in the garbage to get along with her..even that didn't work. So i'm moving to get away from it. Only way to be free unfortunatly go far far away. UGH.. sorry for your nephew!

• Chalam
    Chalam

People cannot concentrate on spiritual matters if their basic needs like food, shelter and clothing are not met.

Agreed. JWs are like this dude

Luke 18:18-23 (New International Version)

The Rich Ruler

18 A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.'"

21 "All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.

22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

23 When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth.

JWs think preaching their religion is deeds but they ignore the very bible they claim to follow.

James 1:27 (New International Version)

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit