Watchtower and Awake Subscriptions

by RealElder 9 Replies latest jw friends

• RealElder
    RealElder

We just had a letter read in our cong. informing us that the Society will no longer be sending out the magazines by subscription. The letter said that this brings the USA in line with the rest of the world. Is this accurate, and if so, how long ago did they stop subscription service in your country?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Yep, it's accurate. Ours was read this week as well.

First of all, wasn't it fun to hear the letter read, and watch all the stunned faces, when we've known about it for weeks?

The letter blamed the cost of postage. They also stated that the mags would be hand-carried by publishers from now on except the braille ones and extremely isolated ones. This week also, the first pubs went out with 'the list' of the newly expired subs, and referneces have been made to 'the list' all week.

I was sitting there thinking what a great way to get all those convicted child molesters to people's doors in isolated areas now.

I wish I had had a camera so I could photograph all those shocked and stunned faces. "You will now hand carry all the subscriptions'. No asking, no requesting, just "you will do".

And I think about all the recent articles (they're on the study forum and more will be going up) saying--be obedient, be submissive, don't harbor thoughts...etc. etc.

I would actually believe it's a cost-saving measure---except for the fact that AT THE SAME TIME the elder swat terams are being sent out to HUNT DOWN inactives/dissenters/ etc. etc.

Happy New Year Jehovah's Witnesses!!!!!

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• anewperson
    anewperson

It might maybe have been true for Canada for several years but I very much doubt it's been true for ALL THE REST OF THE WORLD. As usual they are giving an excuse instead of the real reason which is less money coming in to them in Brooklyn. People are voting the only way they can, via their pocketbooks.

• teejay
    teejay

A lesson learned from Marketing 101:

The cost of distribution between producer and consumer will remain the same regardless of the links in between.

Translation: while the Society *will* save postage, the cost of distributing the mags from Bethel to their endpoint is constant. It's the publishers in the local Halls that are the ones who will incur the added cost of delivery.

Dig a little deeper, Dubs. It's Jehovah's will.

• terafera
    terafera

I never minded getting a subscription as long as I wasn't being stalked by JW's but now I wont be renewing my subscription.

That's all I need.... being held hostage in my house for 2 hours while I try to explain that NO I dont want a Bible Study, dammit!

grrr....

• Kismet
    Kismet

The switch to delivered subs happened in Canada around 1991 or 92.

For additional comments on this switch in the US you will find LDH's thread of interest

. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=18438&site=3#226652

Kismet

• chappy
    chappy
    the elder swat terams are being sent out to HUNT DOWN inactives/dissenters/ etc. etc.

Is this just a local effort or for all the cong's? How long's it been go'n on?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Like so many of the s**t directives that come from Crooklyn, the orders go out to everyone, but so much depends on the elders desire to follow it up.

My favorite example is the shunning of (mostly)women after having been rape victims and not screaming. The rough guestimates are close to two hundred women thais was done to (mostly in the US, or else other countrie's elders aren't 'fessing up) but think of all the women this WASN'T done to. The difference? THE ELDERS!!! Their individual consciences.

So I imagine the orders have gone out for all to form SWAT TEAMS. What remains to be seen is how many elders will do this. There seems to be no end of those that are willing.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

regarding the SWAT teams idea, an elder came to our house (when I lived in England with my parents, who were/are JWs) just to see how they were, because they'd missed the meeting (and, so we hear, because the CO had been on his arse about the lack of people being visited if they're not at meetings).

I was making myself some lunch, and wandered into the room whilst munching away happily. The elder smiled and asked how I was, becuase I'd stopped attending a few weeks back so I'd not been seen, and I said I was fine, and they were all chatting, so I kept myself to myself, to be polite, rather than screaming about the bullshit they were spewing.

SO he turns to me at one point and says "Jay, I thought you might like to come to the book study, rather than give up the meetings wholesale, we'll be studying the creation book, you might find it interesting."

I smiled and looked at him and said "Thanks, but no."

He laughed too and seemed to appreciate that I was at least straight with him.

One of my nicest experiences with an elder, that was.

============================
    The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126 "As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible "

• Danni
    Danni

Hi everyone.

I am seeing mixed messages here. I have been doing some research on the Jehovah's Witnesses since my chat in another room. I was under the impression that you all hate the Jehovah's Witnesses. At the same time you seem somewhat sad that they are stoping their subscriptions from going out..Wouldn't this be good news???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit