My after surgery symptoms. Normal?

by horrible life 8 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

I had minor surgery this past week. Did have general anesthesia.

Since then, I have had,

Graphic, memorable dreams.

I want to eat all of the time, especially if it is sweet.

Wake up not groggy. Just WAKE up.

Have cramps in my feet, legs and hands.

Get suddenly sleepy.

Haven't really had much pain at all. Are these symptoms normal?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I hope you get better. Some of your symptoms are described here:

http://www.ehow.com/about_4740329_general-anesthesia-side-effects.html

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

It doesn't sound serious. Whenever your neurotransmitters are altered you may have very vivid dreams. Some folks say the have a hard time sorting out the dream from reality when they wake up. Sometimes it takes a few weeks for anesthesia to get out of your system. Make sure you stay well rested and hydrated. Make sure you report signs of infection like a fever, redness or wound drainage. Glad you don't have a lot of pain and hope you have a speedy recovery! NMKARN

• notewe
    notewe

For what it's worth...I experienced all of those symptoms after surgery. But with anything....if you feel nasty for too long, get it checked out! Hope the surgery was successful. Surgery is NEVER fun!

Take care

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Horrible Life:

Get Well Soon!

Wow, I think I have all those symptoms too. But I can't blame anesthesia. Lately, and for several weeks to come, my routine has changed, I'm under stress right now, and so it shows up in how I feel.

If you're concerned, keep a journal of what and how you feel and when. For me, I know that hunger, sleepiness, and cramps can be caused by not getting enough water or not enough exercise. I usually don't get enough sleep, so when I have time to get the sleep that I need, I get some wacky dreams.

While you're recovering, remember to rely on Jehovah and keep warm and well fed... *barf* ... man, I almost got that all typed before I puked on the keyboard.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Maybe the drugs are making you dream?

Be careful. Sometimes the oxy can give you a false sense of security. Makes you feel like you are OK to do things you are not supposed to do yet.

And don't forget to eat something just before you take them. I got really sick on them because I forgot to eat.

If you are craving sweets....that is a sure sign of a chocolate deficiency. Maybe you should have someone make a pan of walnut brownies with fudge topping right away!

And send out for some double vanilla ice cream to go with them.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Sometimes surgery messes with your hormones, especially, if you had a hormone producing organ/gland removed. I was very kooky after having a goiter removed. The surgeon said that I wouldn't need thyroid medications. When I went to my endocrinologist, she said my thyroid hormones were very low. I was started on Synthroid immediately. Needless to say, my surgery was botched. I ended up having two additional surgeries after my thyroid gland was removed. One the very next day. I developed a hematoma/seroma and was rushed right back to surgery. No wonder I was having trouble breathing. . .and then, during that surgery, my lung was intubated and I developed a tension pneumothorax. I was sent to ICU because no one knew what was going on. I woke up on the ventilator and I thought that I had woke up in surgery. . .that was very scarey. Then when I went home, I still had trouble breathing. I then found out that both of my vocal cords had been injured. I had to have a trach for about four months. One cord recovered the other had been cut; so I have a paralyzed vocal cord. My breathing, speaking, and singing will never be the same.

Yeah, get that checked out.

You just never know!

P.S. I think that I developed anoxic brain injury to a certain degree due to going into respiratory failure ; so this explains why I'm so crazy.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

HL, most sincere wishes of fast recovery, and a happy new year to you. My daughter, to whom you joyfully wished happy birthday for her 16th anniversary, 2 years ago, joins with me.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't know if anything was normal. I had a dream last night, that was so vivid, and detailed, I wanted to call my sister, and tell her what I had found out. So thanks NO More Koolaid.

Notewe, I think I will call doctor tomorrow, and ask about the metal taste in my mouth.

Billy, Since reading yours this evening, I realized, I have been drinking Diet Coke all week. I have drank 3 glasses of water, and hope the cramps don't get me tonight, or tomorrow in my hands. Have to go to work. I haven't had this many hand cramps, since I figured out that "No Salt" salt subsitute was almost poison to me.

Cameo D I am only taking 1 5 mg Loratab, in the early evening. I skipped it tonight, thinking you may be right about the meds. I know you are right about the sweets.

MsDucky, I have missed you. I am glad you are doing better. I really don't know, and don't think that what I had removed produced hormones. I had a cyst on a gland, 3rd time, and had it all removed.

Aligot Ripounsous, thank you. I do remember wishing your daughter a happy birthday. I thought that my daughter was just a few months older than yours. We are in the process of looking for low plane fares for my daughter to fly to Germany for the summer, 1 month, to spend and travel with her German friend. They will visit your country also. You once said you would like to be in Paris, Texas, and I would love to be in Paris, France. We live 20 miles from Paris. My daughter is there now, seeing the movie Sherlock Holmes. Soon, she will be near you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit