Time's running out for free Windows 7 free upgrade

by Fatfreek 4 Replies latest social current

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

It wasn't easy.

Last July I bought a new HP desktop with the Vista Home Premium operating system. The reason was simple -- according to the ad, as a new buyer I would be entitled to a free update to the yet-to-be-released (and highly touted) operating system, Windows 7.

Today I decided to go for it as I knew time was running out (end of December is deadline). After a call to HP where I made the purchase, I learned that one must have a copy nearby of the sales invoice. It took awhile but I finally found that piece of paper so I thought I was then home free.

Not quite. The deeper I got into HP's web site application form, filling in all the understandable details -- name, address, phone, etc. -- the final demand by HP didn't make sense. I did it, but I still don't understand it.

You must upload a copy of your sales invoice. That means you must have a scanner, be familiar with image formats (it must be of jpg format) and know how to keep the scanned size to one that is below their size required maximum, and finally be able to navigate to that image file, copy its path and name, then paste it into the web form and press the submit button.

On the positive side, I learned that I didn't need to download the update on my slow (satellite) connection. They will mail the disk using the postal service. And it's free.

Oh well, that's done -- and I thought I'd share the experience.

Len Miller

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Wow! Thanks for sharing FF. I have the same problem with my Vista. Sound stopped working and other things are going on with Vista.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing, I'm going to do the update too!

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hmmm ... sorry about your problems with Vista. While I don't have the problems with my Vista that many folks do, I'm confident yours will probably go away with the new installation of 7.

Remember the qualifier for Free is, "All PCs bought with a Windows Vista Home Premium (or above) license on or after July 1, 2009 to January 1, 2010"

Good luck.

Len

• dgp
    dgp

So, the time left is reduced?

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Yes, DGP. In WT language, it's right around the corner.

We're not only in the final month, we're in the last 26 days. Even then, I probably wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit