LUKE 6 : 35 and SHUNNING

by iknowall558 8 Replies latest jw friends

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

LUKE 6 : 35 -- " But love your emenies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the MOST high, because he is kind to the ungrateful and WICKED. Be merciful, just as your heavenly father is merciful.2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is this scripture viewed in the light of how JWS treat the DISFELLOWSHIPPED amongst their ranks ? Particularly APOSTATES, .....as they are viewed as 'enemies' and are viewed as wicked'.

Does the 'shunning' that is practiced mean that each and every JW is going against the counsel in this scripture ?

• Quadraphoenix
    Quadraphoenix

Yes, definitely.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

So why dont they see that ?

• boyzone
    boyzone

Because this isn't the way the Watchtower explains it to the brothers. It doesn't link Luke 6 v 35 with disfellowshipped people, therefore in the minds of most dubs it doesn't apply to the disfellowshipped.

And to think independently of the Watchtower is a definate no-no.

• sir82
    sir82

You must have been away from the JWs for a while. Your thinking is no longer warped enough to get it.

In the JW worldview, the act of disfellowshipping is an act of love. It is a kind of "tough love" - shock the "offender" into realizing his perilous situation before the almighty, and compel him to straighten out.

By shunning, ignoring, treating him lower than dirt, they think they are doing him a big favor.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

they link the individual scripture or part thereof to suit the point they want to make. Scriptures to the contrary are siad to be true also but not having application to the particular argument.

l couldn't see that they twisted scripture when i was in.

oz

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

If you are loving your enemies and doing good to them......then you will be CHILDREN of the most high.

But if they are shunning....according to this scripture...does this mean that they are not viewed as children of God because they are not following HIS example ?

• boyzone
    boyzone
    But if they are shunning....according to this scripture...does this mean that they are not viewed as children of God because they are not following HIS example ?

The scripture talks about their reward being great if they show mercy. As the average JW doesn't show mercy to disfellowshipped ones, then I can only conclude that their reward definately will not be "great". In fact the scriptures say that with the judgment they are rendering to others, such judgment they will receive in return.

Some do show mercy and talk, but they're the rare exceptions (well, in my world they are) Some want to talk but are too frightened to, and some shun us with relish.

How Jehovah views these variations is up to him but the scripture does seem to indicate that his favour will not be extended to those who don't show mercy.

It goes to show that the shunning is one of the single most damaging and unchristian of all the Watchtower policies. I firmly believe that this policy alone will bring an adverse judgment upon, not just the leadership, but on all individuals that follow such leaders without question.

I personally take comfort in knowing that God has seen the tears I've shed after being shunned, and he'll remember.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Boyzone......I agree with everything you say , in particular you said, "and some shun us with relish."

I get shunned regualrly along with some others who left. I had an experience last week in a supermarkert from a mother and daughter double act.

I was walking up the 'milk' aisle when I saw them, but kept my head high as I always do. She looked up and saw me just as I was approaching and shunned me with great flair. I got mad and almost chased them round the shop to find them. The reason I got mad is this...

The daughter, last year got into trouble when she had underage sex with a brother. She was 14 at the time. It was a scandal in the local KH but the father of the girl remained an elder throughout the whole thing. She got reproved. This Mother and Father, also have a son who was great friends with my hubby, but who encouraged my husband to continue cheating on me. This son, also had, and still does have a problem with alcohol. He has been arrested and put in jail for drunk and disorderly behaviour and has also had his license taken away for a year due to driving under the influence.

I was incensed because......THEY were the ones shunning ME!

I only had a difference of opinion.....I questioned what they believe!......whereas, with these two, have not only 'sinned', but also BROKEN THE LAW. That Mother and daughter view me with disgust....and treated me accordingly. And yes, if I got them, they would have heard what I had to say. I am proud of leaving the org and I have no fear now.

By doing this......they are going against scripture, and are showing the opposite of Mercy. It is a cruel and loathsome act.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit