Contributing to Defence Tax

by God_Delusion 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

In Cyprus, everyone who earns a legitimate salary, pays 2% of their weekly/monthly salary to the Republic of Cyprus' Defence Fund.

This fund provides the MOD (Ministry of Defence) the funds to purchase their arsenal and fund all and sundry in relation to the Republic's armed forces.

Shouldn't Jehovah's Witnesses put their foot down and say that they won't pay this tax? I don't think it's physically possible to not pay this tax and as far as I know, that's the reason they give for paying it.

Thing is, why do they always portray other religions of the world blessing the soldiers before going into battle? Their own salaries provided these soldiers their weapons, clothing, salaries, etc. in the first place!

This is just another bit of hypocrisy that I noticed after reading the UN Scandal by inbetween.

Regards
    RAB

• sd-7
    sd-7

Very true, I suppose. There are scriptural reasons for paying taxes, mind you--but...those taxes do support war inevitably. It's funny. A Bible student of my brother's presented this very issue--shows he had a very keen mind, hence why he's never joined the Borg that I know of to this day. We danced around the answer and ended up saying 'do it because the Bible says we should pay taxes'. But we don't consider the reality that it's impossible to pay taxes without supporting war, quite literally FINANCING it. Which highlights how impossible it is to be 'no part of the world' as JWs define it.

JWs' hands are logically just as blood-stained as anyone else's. Even more because they just give the money and then decide there's no need to be involved in the process of choosing leadership that will use that money wisely (at least in nations where one is given a choice). That, of course, gets into murky territory for me, and I'm sure my logic is a little flawed along the way. I'm not big on politics myself, and I'd be a middle-of-the-road kind of guy if I were. Another story. That's my take on it.

SD-7

• KingAgag
    KingAgag

2 % eh? That explains the ancient guns I see everywhere :P

So let's say wages are 1500 Euro a month - that is a reasonable average for someone here in my experience. Even those who earn more will help make my point anyway. What's 2 % of that? 30 Euro's if I worked it out in my head okay. Math isn't my strong subject. How many JWs do you think donate 30 euro a month into the contribution box? HARDLY ANY which means that the vast majority of witnesses pay more for the Cyprus Defence Fund than they do to the all-important to-die-for worldwide work!!!!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hypocrisy ???

No - just following The Bible's teaching

Romans 13 ; 6 - 7

"For that is why YOU are also paying taxes; for they are God’s public servants constantly serving this very purpose. 7 Render to all their dues, to him who [calls for] the tax, the tax; to him who [calls for] the tribute, the tribute; to him who [calls for] fear, such fear; to him who [calls for] honor, such honor."

NB Please do not tag me as an apologist for the WTS...I just think that this particular criticism is unwarranted.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus told the jews to pay tribute (taxes) to the Romans that went to finance the occupation of the Jewish Land.

All taxes ( a % of them of course) go to the defence/military budget after the fact, in every country.

• bob1999
    bob1999

Why do the JW's make such a big thing about war?

What about the war on drugs?

Law enforcement is war against law breakers, just within a countries boundries.

Are the JW's against that?

If the "bad guys" are causing trouble and physical harm, I like the idea of "going to war" against them.

Don't you? Killing someone in self defense is not murder and also not against God's will.

Peace (Philippians 4:7)

• Quadraphoenix
    Quadraphoenix

God delusion is right. The money that the Jehovahs Witnesses have been paying to the defense fund has allowed us to implement the unthinkable, Community Service for all male Cyprus citizens that do not want to go to the army. Going to the army when you have left school is compulsory. I though, had to endure fines and prison time as my stance as a Jehovahs Witness didn't allow me to go to prison. Prison was very hard for me.

This community service law means that any brother under 50 will have to leave there job even if they have a family and loans because these brothers signed a letter agreeing that they would leave there jobs, even if they had a morgage to pay and other loans and even if they had a family IF the community service bill was ever passed in Cyprus.

In 2003-2008, 3 of us, all Jehovahs Witnesses, one being and elder, tried very hard to get this bill past. In 2008, we were vindicated! We have also one more elder which is helping us. I cannot say the names of the ones involved, but one elder is very popular and known by nearly all Jehovahs Witnesses in Cyprus. little do these ones know.

The monies that these brothers and sisters have been paying, will bring the organisation to a halt in Cyprus as 78% of the brothers will need to go to community service. Will the organisation provide their families any money? I dont think so, in fact, I know it will not. This will cause a chain reaction. You see, the brothers have a choice. They can either go to the army for 3 months, in which case, many can make a deal with their boss and do the army and then return to there jobs, or they can quit there jobs as community service is for a minimum of 26 months, allow there house to be taken by the bank, there cars by the banks and cause massive financial difficulties by going to community service. If they decided to go to the army for 3 months, they get to keep there jobs (most of them if they are good employees), get to keep there house, there car and there finances will be hurt, but not that much. But these ones will be disfellowshipped. We predict that 50% will decide to go to the army and prefer getting disfellowshipped.

Our bigger plan will kick into place after this has happened. For now, I cannot tell you any more.

Regards

Quadraphoenix

• trueblue
    trueblue

Some how you all have me thinking about a bible story of a King, I think it was King David that wanted another mans wife so King David had this man deliver a sealed letter to the head or chief person of army. This faithful and inocent man actually delivered his own death certificate to the chief of army and was put on the front row of battle so he would be sluttered so King David could have his wife.

I don't know, maybe I am getting off topic, but watch the video and see if you can see a connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si3UgprF7XQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit