The Elder Bag. Going the way of the Dodo?

by Open mind 63 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Sadly, for the 5 years that I pioneered, I had the giant "sister" version of the bag.

People used to tease me and say, "I think that point was made in the 1982 WT.......Palm, you have that bound volume don't you?....."

I have shoulder problems to this day....My chiropractor asks me, "what happened to your rotator cuff????," and I say, "well, I used to carry around this HUGE bag........"

• Open mind
    Open mind

LOL @ Mickey Mouse's link!

The "Joppa"?

The "Tarshish"?

Give me a break!

Those British JWs must be pretty secure in their masculinity to go sporting a "murse" like that.

om

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I never bought into the briefcase thing. I had a Bible and if I remembered or coudl find it a song book.

I didn't like selling magazines so I only took the Bible in field service.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

This is way too perfect timing!

I was cleaning out my closet last weekend and came across my "elder bag".

I laughed to myself and still could not believe I had one. I was such an ass kisser!

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with it?

• blondie
    blondie

My husband never had a huge bag, just a bag like OTWO describes and he too was the school overseer. Thinking back on the conventions I don't know where they could have put them with the narrow space. Could not put them in the aisles. I can remember several times people tripping over the bags of those at the kh and one time an elder set them on the mike cords (pre-wireless) and ripped the cord out. No more bags in the aisles there.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower
    It's a wonder there weren't more dislocated shoulders, from the elders lugging those 50 pound cases around.

that is why I had one with the retractable handle and wheels. I put it out in the garage just the other day with the other suitcases. If I ever get a job requiring it I will break it out. If I havent by the time we move in a year or so, I will yard sale it.

what a flashback...I once went to the Stoops' "factory" in Missouri. That stuff really wasn't that great to be honest. Overpriced. Then they started branching out selling other crap...vitamins...computers...coloring books...it got to be stupid. I think the place to go now is Madzay for field circus supplies..

...I wonder how much money I wasted buying service bags and such...

Snakes (Rich )

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I too was TMS conductor and had the "Queen Family Truckster" version of a case. There seemed some wierd obligation to have a case like that at the time. It came in handy with all the binders I was sporting at the time. Now it collects dust like some relic in storage holding old correspondence. Wouldn't it be fun to attend a meeting in another city where you're unknown with it and see how many peg you for a visiting elder? W.Once

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Even as the secretary, I resisted having an enormous "Pilot's Bag" . There were plenty around though, and still are, bursting with "important papers ". I took to meetings only what I thought I needed. Sometimes If I needed, I carried 2 bags, to balance the weight.....Happy days??? NOT!

• OUTLAW
  • straightshooter
    straightshooter

When I was an elder I had a medium sized book bag. I discarded it after being removed as an elder.

Toward my final days attending the KH, I carried the family's literature by hand, no book bag, into and out of the KH. The elders repeatedly suggested that I get a book bag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit