former JW now Rhodes scholar - daddy let her think for herself

by Dogpatch 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

University of Louisville graduate named Rhodes scholar

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091121/NEWS01/911210361/University+of+Louisville+graduate+named+school+s+first+Rhodes+Scholar

Monica Marks grew up among fundamentalist Jehovah’s Witnesses in Eastern Kentucky — craving books and learning in a community where education wasn’t valued.

Today the University of Louisville graduate is the state's latest Rhodes scholar, the winner of one of the most coveted awards in academia.

“Growing up, the discussion wasn’t about what college you would go to, it was whether or not you were even going to college,” she said. “The idea of going to university and getting a degree, much less getting a Rhodes, didn’t even fall within our purview.”

At 23 years of age, her studies in Islamic law have already taken her around the globe to places like Jordan, Tanzania and Tunisia. She’s now studying in Turkey during her year as a Fulbright Scholar — the prestigious academic award she won last year.

It’s far from her youth in Rush, Ky., where she went on sales calls with her father Jesse, who owns a small business that sells plastic bags and other janitorial products. She helped him on “floor jobs,” what they called the cleaning jobs he did on weekends to make extra money.

Neither of her parents graduated from high school, and no one in her extended family went to college.

As a child she begged her parents to send her outside of her own school district — to Russell Independent Middle and High schools — because they were the best schools in the area. And she said she constantly asked her parents for books to feed her voracious appetite for reading.

Marks credits her father with letting her stray from church teachings to make a better life for herself.

Jesse Marks was an elder in the local Jehovah’s Witness church — a church she said focused on preparing for the apocalypse.

“They believed that college was unnecessary and you were derided for pursuing college,” she said.

Many saw college as “a prideful waste of time” and a means to acquire the material goods that the church frowned upon, she said.

“I was an insatiable reader and my parents got me books,” she said. “I read all the things I wasn’t supposed to read about — philosophy, feminism … I realized at an early age that I didn’t just want to read about things, that I would have to explore bigger things and that education was part and parcel to that.”

Shouldn't she have followed Freddy Franz' advice and turned down the opportunity to be a stupid cult leader or something? :-)

Randy

• carla
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good for her! Page 2 of the article has more detail of her achievements.

And to think, I gave up so many years for pioneering and bethel. But no more.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Kudos to the parents for not forcing encouraging her to regular pioneer.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Now that is really "Good News "

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Marks credits her father with letting her stray from church teachings to make a better life for herself.

Jesse Marks was an elder in the local Jehovah’s Witness church — a church she said focused on preparing for the apocalypse.

I can just imagine the talk about her father in the congregation now.

• NanaR
    NanaR

I know this young lady and her parents. Her parents are both highly intelligent (but uneducated) individuals. Her mom drove her to a neighboring county so she could attend better schools. Both of her parents encouraged her educational pursuits.

The part about her father was conveniently left out of our local newspaper. Her father has not been an elder for a while.

Ruth

who grew up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky

• choosing life
    choosing life

Good for her. Unlike Freddie, she actually is a Rhodes scholar. Education is the path out of a cult. Maybe her parents will join her.

• zarco
    zarco

A wonderful report. Thanks for posting it, Randy.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I'm sure the JW response would be similar to this:

Mama Boucher: You gonna lose all your fancy fools' balls games! And your gonna fail your big exam! Because school is?

Bobby Boucher: The devil?
    [Mama gasps]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit