Shunning inactive JW? I never heard about it before....

by Albert Einstein 25 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A person that is inactive could be labelled "bad association".

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My understanding, and the official line, is the same as Albert Einstein's first post. The inactive are to be treated as "lost sheep" and encouraged back to the fold.

However, many dubs will do as WT Wizard suggests and view us as "bad associates", especially if they think we are not living "Godly" lives. There is a lot of inconsistency , as board members report..

I have noticed among the extended family that at first I was reached out to , to be included although not reasoned with ...but latterly the attitude has cooled considerably. I am not shunned though.

The "personal marking" is nowadays discouraged by the central organization. It is an official process that , if the elders decide you are to be marked they will let it be known...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I was shunned (by witnesses I had known since I was a child) when they came to my sister's home right after my beloved father died. Incidently, to add insult to injury, he died needing a blood transfusion.

I have never been disfellowshipped, formerly disassociated, nor have I ever been publicly or privately reproved. Technically, I am just "inactive". It was stunning to me that they could shun me during that time, when I was still in shock having lost my Dad.

Then again, I didn't want to talk to them anyway.

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

I haven't spoken to one son in 8 years, and the other about 5 years. Both of them are married now. My ex sister in law sent me photos of my eldest sons wedding which happened 2 weekends ago.

What a great witness that is!

Beachwalker

• dissed
    dissed

Its a good question, because for us, we noticed some have treated us like we are DF'd, but still some will come by the door trying to get us to visit the KH.

Obviously, its too widespread, the shunning treament, to be coincedental. They are public with their actions, to the point of being rude. Is it the actions of people that gossip and feel compelled to judge that you must be 'real bad' and not worthy of at least an informal greeting?

My wife's sister and husband definately treat us like we are JW apostates. Will only talk for very necessary family business and are rudely cold at that. Wifey said, her sister, her former best friend, has a 'Seinfeld/Newman' relationship with her, very cold.

Recently, at a family event, their outward show of hatred was so obvious, that it was noticed by the non-JW side of the family. My wife uses the occassion to 'heap coals on their heads', is especially nice and civil to them, while they look like they are 'nashing their teeth', seriously, just like you would imagine the Phairasees doing.

Bottom line thought: They're are a lot of SR JW's out there, no?

• fokyc
    fokyc

I am inactive and shunned by the local congregation elders.

I was baptised in 1963, I am inactive since 1995, neither dis-fellowshipped nor dis-associated.

Recently my wife, an active and regular Sister and I were invited to a Pig-Roast where the wife is active and the husband isn't in 'the truth', it was very obvious to all that NO brothers spoke to or with me, a few sisters did.

A couple of years ago I asked by way of the UK data Act for a copy of my record card; I apparently have no record card and it would appear that 'I am unknown' by the Cong. secretary, who I have known since before his birth.

When the elders write to the branch about me, they refer to me as Brother fokyc.

This organisation is extremely strange, it in no way reflects basic Biblical principles or what is written in the various articles.

Their hatred/abhorance of me is amazing.

fokyc

• blondie
    blondie

How about shunning an active jw in good standing? Individual jws make their own rules. If they don't like someone, they can manufacture a so-called "scriptural" reason to not even talk to a "good" jw. Point in case, jws who have not talked to each other for 30 or more years, who would not go to the same book study, be assigned a householder for that person's talk, not give them their magazines rather handing it off to another brother standing behind mag/lit counter, not be invited to dinner at someone's home if that person was there...............

• blondie
    blondie

Elders in one congregation used this to tell active jws not to socialize with inactive jws or mates of active jws.

*** km 6/89 pp. 1-2 Enjoying Theocratic Association ***

WHOLESOME ASSOCIATION

One cannot walk with God while running in association with those of the wicked and sick society that approves of everything that God abhors. The Bible warns: "Bad associations spoil useful habits." (1 Cor. 15:33) Some in the congregation may be inclined to invite worldly acquaintances and unbelieving relatives who have no interest in the truth to social gatherings, thinking that this will encourage them to accept the truth. However, is this wise and in harmony with the Scriptures?

We have been counseled to be cautious in our dealings with men of the nations, unbelievers, and ordinary persons. (See the November 15, 1988, issue of TheWatchtower, pages 15-16.) Why should we have unnecessary social contact with people who still pursue worldly ways and who have not become worshipers of Jehovah? (2 Cor. 6:14, 15) Some who are negligent spiritually may seek out others who also hold on to worldly thinking and ways instead of seeking association with mature Christians who could help them become strong in the faith. They fail to appreciate that attendance at social gatherings with worldly, unprincipled people can weaken their faith and corrupt them.—Compare 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15.
  • DJK
    DJK

Everywhere I lived since I left the JWs, they come to my door once and I tell them I left. Never have another visit again. Talk about marking.

• carla
    carla

These stories should be in the newspapers or elsewhere with high visibility!

(also marking for later use)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit