Question regarding JW and military service.

by Alligator Wisdom 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Does anyone know WHEN the WTS started to refused baptism for those who were enlisted as active duty in the armed forces (military)?

Any reference material would be appreciated.

From what I remember hearing, back in the olden days (pre-50's or 60's) anyone wishing to be baptized only had to show up at a convention or assembly to get dunked. No questions. No monitoring. Also, weren't some Bible Students enlisted in the military when CT Russell was president. I recall that these Bible Student soldiers weren't encouraged to kill with their weapons, but rather to fire them in the air in order to not become blood guilty. So there must be something in print between the 1920's and 1950's.

Your response would be kindly appreciated as there is a serious discussion among elders in the country of ****** regarding the neutrality issue.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• No Longer Held Captive
    No Longer Held Captive

Jw joins the foreign legion, he has finished his training and is shipped off to the desert. He is marching along and spots a car door i the middle of nowhere. He picks it up and contiues marching. The officer sees him, brings the column to a standstill, and marches up to our jw legionaire and asks him what he is doing with the car door, the jw replies, "oh, its handy you know, for when it gets really hot, then I can wind down the window".

This may not answer your question, but its funny, and if they cab be activley involved with the UN, then why not the military too, let them all join and shoot each other.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I imagine sometime after Peter baptized one, the very first gentile (and soldier) to be dunked. By doing so today, this apostle would be severely rebuked by the GB, probably disfellowshipped since he wouldn't repent of such a blatant act of disobedience.

Just playing the devil's advocate, of course. I suspect I know where those brothers are coming from because it was a serious question I had before I got out of the borg.

The following WT publication quotes seem typically silent to the fact that he is an army person.

*** it-1 p. 513 Cornelius ***
    Thus this group of which Cornelius is named as the most notable became the first uncircumcised Gentiles or non-Jews to receive "the free gift of the holy spirit." (Ac 10:44, 45) Water baptism immediately followed. Nothing more is known of the life and activity of Cornelius after this.

*** w06 2/1 p. 23 par. 7 "A Witness to All the Nations" ***
    The year 36 C.E. saw another significant development -- the conversion and baptism of Cornelius, a Gentile. In directing the apostle Peter to this God-fearing man, Jehovah indicated that Jesus’ command to "make disciples of people of all the nations" was not limited to Jews in various lands. (Acts 10:44, 45)

Len

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

"Student soldiers were encouraged to fire in the air in order to not become blood guilty" The watchtower is blood guilty theirself. They own 50% of a company that makes war weapons. Go to search and click on "Watchtower and Warfare Technology."

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

It's a company called Rand cam.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I think the article you are looking for is in the WT November 1, 1939

From the Proclaimers book Pg 193

A Record of Christian Neutrality
    Though Jehovah’s Witnesses quickly discerned some issues that involve a Christian’s relationship to the world, other matters required more time. However, as World War II gathered momentum in Europe, a significant article in The Watchtower of November 1, 1939, helped them to appreciate the meaning of Christian neutrality. Followers of Jesus Christ, the article stated, are obligated before God to be wholly devoted to him and his Kingdom, the Theocracy. Their prayers should be for God’s Kingdom, not for the world. (Matt. 6:10, 33) In the light of what Jesus Christ disclosed as to the identity of the invisible ruler of the world (John 12:31; 14:30), the article reasoned, how could a person who is devoted to God’s Kingdom favor one side or the other in a conflict between factions of the world? Had not Jesus said of his followers: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world”? (John 17:16) This position of Christian neutrality was not one that the world in general would understand. But would Jehovah’s Witnesses really live up to it?

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Fatfreek: Those are the exact two Bible accounts that these elders are referencing to support the fact that active duty military can be baptized. However, at the same token, these elders don't think that those who are already baptized should enlist into the military. The difference being that an active duty soldier can request a conscientious objector status or just refuse to fight until his contract/term is up.

Alwayshere: RandCam is interesting. How can this be brought up without throwing up questionable apostate flags?

Black Sheep: Thanks for the research and reference material.

Now who can direct me to a copy of the November 1,1939 issue of the WT magazine?

Thanks all!

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Alligator, not sure it can be brought up wihout throwing an Apostate flag. I just tell everyone on this board in case they don't know about it so they can see what hypocrites the Watchtower Society is.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Alwayshere: RandCam is interesting. How can this be brought up without throwing up questionable apostate flags?

Impossible.

The Elders should be able to see for themselves from their own bookshelves, or the KH library, that what you are saying is true.

If you don't have the material in your hot little hand, you can still quote it. Take the attitude that you don't have to provide the material. If they want to dispute it, it is up to them to show you that article to prove you wrong. That said, it is better not to take them to task on a subject when you do not have hard copy to show them.

You have a pm

Cheers

Chris

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Black Sheep (Chris) : I got your PM. Check yours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit