Examining a Scripture and a Paragraph from the Watchtower Daily--Nov. 2, 2009

by sd-7 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7

Today's text: Daniel 12:8: "Now as for me, I heard, but I could not understand." Comments were taken from 1/15/08 Watchtower.

November 2, 2009. 5:30 A.M. greeted us with the daily text. We will be able to explain the meaning of Daniel's prophecy to Daniel himself in the 'new system'. Funny, because lots of JWs don't know what Daniel 12 means, even according to the Society. Me? I'm trying to figure out how I can explain something to Daniel when I've never studied it myself--a talk in 1922 I never heard, or a 1925 Watchtower article I've never read? Don't you think Daniel should have the right to read that article, to hear that talk? But if I've never done so, how can I tell him anything? Amazing. The modern-day fulfillment of Bible prophecy hangs entirely on unverifiable premises. And this talk and the article weren't that long ago, mind you. And no doubt that talk and that article both contain doctrines that would be summarily dismissed as false today. How can false doctrines fulfill Bible prophecy--especially when "the [true] knowledge" was supposed to become abundant? Remember what Daniel 12:10 says, "No wicked ones at all will understand; but the ones having insight will understand." Any wickedness on the part of those who claim prophecy was fulfilled in them--including enforced acceptance of false doctrines, for example--would prove they are unable to understand these scriptures, I should think.

It's scary just how much theological swiss cheese we were fed all those years. Hope I can withstand a lifetime worth of it. Fire away.

SD-7

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

One thing that always got to me:

If these articles were important enough to be fortold centuries ago in the bible, how come the Watchtower doesn't even bother to reprint them? The same thing goes for these amazing talks that supposidly fulfilled scripture.

If they are this important, why not let us get copies?

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

There is a reason articles before the 1950 are not on the WTS CD. If one reads these articles they will get disturbed. For example the talk, "Millions Now Living Will Never Die", applies to those who heard the talk in the 1920s or to today?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I wonder how many JW's actually believe the interpretation that Daniel and Revelation refer to 1920's Watchtower magazines? I know quite a few that don't and find these interpretations to be an embarrassment.

• seek2find
    seek2find

In the JW viewpoint, People like Daniel and the other faithfull men of old, will be presented with a real problem when they learn about the "fulfilment" of their prophecys. They may ask some unconfortable questions. For an example I was looking recently at a scan of the publication called "the Messenger" which was a WTBTS publication released in conjunction with the 1931 Columbus Ohio assembly. There was an article in it about the "Beth Sarim" mansion in San Diego and beneath one of the photos was the Caption that said "...Do you think David will like it?" How are the witnesses going to explain that to David? I believe that an honest hearted reading of the 11th chapter of Hebrews will show, to those who are willing to accept it, that the Society is wrong about people like David and Daniel and other faithfull men of old being resurected to Paradise on earth. The context seems clear that they will recieve a heavenly reward. seek2find

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Have found out the quickest way to get the JWs who are 'instructing' my wife in the 'bible' to stop bugging me is to ask for the references, either a list (as it pertains to the trinity brochure) or any old literature that a current article refers to. I get away with it because for the most part that is what I do at my job......check the lower level details!

If anyone who still has an ounce of critical thinking skills remaining were to look into the references, they would see how the whole organization is now built on a foundation of sand.....

• designs
    designs

Who knew Clelveland Ohio was the center of the universe!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit