How to get rid of the mold on the baseboard in one of my bathrooms?

by asilentone 14 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

If it is just on the surface of the wood soap and water will clean it off though it may still be stained. Bleach isn't recommended for mold.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I am going to use the bleach and water to clean it, should I rub it on the baseboard or just pat on it? Thanks!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Carefully remove the baseboards and wipe all surfaces with a solution of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. Let dry. Wipe the wall and floor behind the baseboard with the same solution and let dry.

Reinstall the base boards.

Best solution is to install a venting fan and let run for an hour after everyone is done showering.

r.

• musky
    musky

Install an exhaust fan to reduce the amount of mold in the first place.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you!

Actually, ALL of these suggestions will work... temporarily (well, I'm not totally sure about the WTs and ritualistic chant/dance thing). Your problem is that you got/are getting moisture in your bathroom some kind of way... and if that problem isn't resolved the "mold" WILL come back (where you've used bleach/vinegar/soap; perhaps not so much where you've used the Kilz, but it'll find another place to show up).

If your baseboard has "mold" because you had a tub/toilet overflow, you might also need to check the drywall/plaster behind it... perhaps even cut out and replace some of that. You will at least need to remove the baseboard and let the wall dry out.

If you didn't have an overflow, you might have a tiny leak behind the wall that's puddling at the bottom, so that "mold" shows at the baseboard.

If no leak/overflow... then you most probably have a ventilation problem which is easily remedied:

1. Always open the window during and/or after bathing/showering, if you have one and if you can (obviously, if it's pouring down raining, that might not be the thing to do just then); and/or

2. Turn on the fan, if your bathroom has one, whenever you're bathing/showering or running the hot water for any length of time. Check and make sure the fan is clean (dust can build up in there and interfere with the fan's purpose); and/or

3. Leave the door open during and/or after bathing/showering; and/or

4. If your bathroom doesn't have a window OR a fan... invest in an inexpensive dehumidifier.

Finally, if you hang your wet towels (or other clothes) in the bathroom, spread them out so that they can dry properly (as well as open the window/door, turn on fan, etc.)

Not trying to be a know-it-all, truly, but I have dealt with a LOT of mold, household and otherwise, in my usual profession (housing administrator, and we have to get "certified" re mold, asbestos, lead, etc., every 2 years)... and have seen people bleach and bleach away... only to have the "mold" (actually, it's most likely mildew, which is mold in its very early stages) come back time and time again. You have to deal with what's causing it... or you'll be back down there is a couple months.

I hope this helps... and I bid you peace,

SA, property management diva, on her own....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit