Elders are infallible!

by oscartheduck 9 Replies latest jw friends

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

I remember talking to an elder about judicial commitees whilst we were on a security shift (which lasted for twenty minutes each during the meetindgs, with other brothers coming out after your twenty minutes was up to take your place). He was feeling open because he had just been on one that disfellowshipped a young woman whom he had watchde grow up in "the truth".

So we were chatting and I asked him "What if you make a mistake?" And he said "Oh, we don't make mistakes, God's holy spirit is directing us."

So I said "But what if?" And he looked at me sideways and said "Well, we have to live with the bloodguilt."

So I said "Have you ever found out you were wrong?"

And he said "I've been on a committee where later there was a revision and our judgment was wrong according to the new thought."

"Was the person re-instated?"
    "No."
    "Why not?"
    And then our "relief" came out, because our time was up.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Oscar: I recall how the JWs who studied with me would condemn the 'infalibility' of the Catholic Pope. Yet, since the inception of the Elder church government, they never seem to see how they are victims of the same mentality that they condemn.

In my opinion, Judicial Committees, and the resulting 'official' church discipline meted out to JWs is not supported in the Bible, and is not Christian.

The dishonesty of the Elder you discuss is sad, and yet they continue to be blinded, as most JWs and other militant groups are, ... and as a result much harm has been done, and little good. - Amazing

• JT
    JT

GOOD POST

IN fact there are many errors made, but the point you raise is the real issue. do they correct thier errors and the answer is no-

in fact it is so bad that the service dept has directed elders to NEVER STATE ON THE JUDICAL FORMS THAT THE COMMITTEE MADE AN ERROR

AND THE point you made about reinstating with new light WELL IT IS VIEWED as YOU RAN AHEAD TOO BAD

I KNOW OF an lady late 50's early 60's who was DFed over a "The Wrong Blood Component" of course now years later it's OK

did WE as a body of elders call her up to let her know the good news

no we merely viewed it that she rushed ahead of the org

the rules ARE KING AND once again we see THE SYSTEM AT WORK

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

how interesting..considering what the watchtower has stated...

silly..silly antis..so predictable

'Admitting mistakes and making sincere apologies will also help Christian elders to work together harmoniously and ‘show honor to one another.’ (Romans 12:10) An elder may be reluctant to admit a mistake because he fears that this will undermine his authority in the congregation. However, trying to justify, ignore, or minimize a mistake is much more likely to cause others to lose confidence in his oversight. A mature brother who humbly apologizes, perhaps for some thoughtless remark, earns the respect of others.
    Another test of our loyalty to our brothers arises when those whom Jehovah is using to take the lead err in judgment. Now and then, such mistakes have been used by some as an excuse to take umbrage and disassociate themselves from Jehovah’s visible organization. But is their course of action justified?"

• moman
    moman

nyte, I can't imagine why an Elder would try and cover over hiz mistakes, especially when the Society sez otherwise, unless, oh let me think......oh yes,when the Society of JW's haz been doing just that ever sence its inception!

Great example of, "the pot calling the kettle black"!!!!!!!

• JT
    JT

However, trying to justify, ignore, or minimize a mistake is much more likely to cause others to lose confidence in his oversight
    --------

THIS IS really deep when you consider how the wt does it so often

let's look at a few examples that cost folks thier lives

1. Blood- the wt stated that is was unscriptural to take any Whole Blood or BLOOD FRACTIONS- so many jw had to die till they decided it was ok to take fractions-

now when they said it was ok did the wt say we are sorry for being wrong on this major life and death dogma- nope they brushed it off as NEW LIGHT

2. TRANSPLANTS- THEY Said that it was unscriptual and jah did not approve of it- when they changed did they say that we are sorry for telling you all not to take that kidney, lung skin graft, etc- nope they passed it off as new light again

3 alternative service- they told jw that they could not work at the hospital due to it being unscriptual and it would show that they were compromising thier faith in ALL MIGHTY GOD HIMSELF - as a result many young men were inprisoned, beating , raped and lost job opportunities to support thier families-

when they changed did they admit that THEY WERE WRONG

nope in fact according to that wt they blamed the bro themselves for having TOO STRICT OF A CONSCIENCE

so NYTEL your quote was great only if the FDS could do what they ask of others

how sad

keep in mind that the 3 examples were LIFE AND DEATH ISSUES YET NYTEL

YOU CAN'T FIND ONE APOLOGY IN REF TO THOSE 3 ISSUES
    AND i could go on and on
    Actually I'm not really posting this for you NYTEL it for all the NONJW who read this so that they can see that while the wt WRITES BEATIFUL words on being humble and admiting when one is wrong THEY DON;'T DO IT THEMSELVES

instead they use phrases like "Some Brothers" Or "Jehovah's people"

they try to blame the entire BROTHERHOOD for what are really the errors of the group known as the FDS

they try to spread the blame for unscriptual Dogmas or speculation on the rank and file when in fact it all comes out of HQ

• Simon
    Simon

I discussed (argued ?) this very point when the elders first came on a shepherding call. They were either incapable or unwilling to grasp the logic ...

Them: God's standards never change. The WT interpretation may be corrected though ... (blah, blah, excuse for getting everything wrong ever)

Me: According to the WatchTower elders just confirm decisions already made in heaven

Them: Yes, that is true (there may be hope for this one if he acknowledges our greatness)

Me: So when the rules change, and the 'right decision' would have been different, does this mean that the wrong decision was taken in heaven (and that god's rules do change) or that the elders aren't 'confirming' any decision at all but 'making things up' themselves.

Them: (note to self: never answer any questions). Do you accept the Governing Body as Jehovahs Spirit Annointed representatives here on earth? ... do you wan't to be associated with Jehovahs Witnesses? ... danger Will Robinson ... exterminates, exterminate ...

Of course they coudn't answer because the whole premise can be proved to be wrong. That's the trouble with infallibility - to claim it, you really do need to 'be' it or else is is easily apparent that you are not.

• Flip
    Flip
    Elders are infallible!

Osc, I’m surprised, I’m sure, as much as you that no one spotted this error but the correct spelling is 'inflatable'. Stick a WTBTS sanctioned 'air hose' in the appropriate Elders orifice and…'let Gods will be done', what the Society puts in print, is something altogether different.

Flip

• Klaus Vollmer
    Klaus Vollmer

what they do they do it with diligence
    and they are like many human beings:
    following the big duck
    that is awking and leaving shells behind
    where you must have attention not to enter.

remember the great question of the nazi germans
    all were guilty because they all followed the great leader
    into war, holocaust and ingnorance of human rights.
    after the war nearly nobody felt guilty
    and they took former swastika men into leading positions.

I only can say in regard to this with a form of a black joke:
    My grandpa died in Auschwitz -
    he fell drunken from the WT.

sorry, and forgive me that kind of utterance, but
    elders are humans and those who have nothing to say at home
    may have a great beak in the jc.

• oscartheduck
    oscartheduck

Follow the duck!
    Follow the duck!

============================
    The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126 "As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit