Armstrong, WWCOG and Ray Franz

by kurtbethel 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I saw this on a Yahoo group. This is an interesting speculation that Ray Franz would have caused a schism in 1980 if he had prevailed. Likely bogus, as there is no clear parallel. WWGOG had a strong leader who dies, and his "generals" fight over the empire. WT at that point had a committee running it with no individual having greatly visible leadership.

I met one of these Worlwide Church of God people in the ministry many years ago. He said 'We used to do the house to house ministry but then God told me he didn't beg' Not sure whether that was a direct mmessage from God or whether he meant Herbert Armstrong. However I didnt get chance to mention the scripture at 2 Corinthians 5:20 to him and ask his thoughts.
    The WCC fell apart after Armstrong's death in 1980s. The guy who took over as the spiritual leader of them, basically started to change all the doctrines within two years. When he died his son took over and completely changed all their doctrinal positions so that all Armstrong's distinctive teachings were removed. This lead to major schisms and schisms of schisms, so that the membership dropped from about 125 000 to currently 40,000. The break away groups all claim to be the psiritual heirs of Armstrong and follow his ideas to a greater or lesser degree.

And this is exactly what Ray Franz would have done to us if he had been allowed the chance. In 1980 he lead a small rebellion against the then gov body. He wanted to get rid of all the teachings that make us different from Christendom, 1914, last days, blood transfusions, house to house ministry, disfellowshipping, shunning of DFd relatives.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, only a JW apologist would suggest that Ray Franz has any interest in being a cult leader.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Wow, that is so incorrect it boogles the mind !
    Ray didn't LEAD anything, LOL !

• blondie
    blondie

In fact, while Ray left Bethel, he re-established himself with a congregation in the Atlanta area. It was the WTS that changed their rules and made them retroactive to get grounds to df Ray Franz. While having written his 2 books after this move by the WTS, he has never established a group or an organization, and that is no accident.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

He wanted to get rid of all the teachings that make us different from Christendom, 1914, last days, blood transfusions, house to house ministry, disfellowshipping, shunning of DFd relatives.

The Witnesses are obsessed with being "different" instead being what Jesus taught us to be.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Also on the thread, I found this comment, rich with irony. Following a man instead of Jesus? Not good. Following 9 men, good. Unfortunately if I pointed out that particular angle on the thread it would very likely get moderated out.

Remember the Russellites, who actually still exist today.? They followed a man instead of Jesus and their group is not thriving, they are very few.? That is what I think reminds me of the Armstrongs, and I do remember plain Truth mag...? I was in high school when I first saw it.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Are not the members of the GB men? So instead of following one man they follow a group of men. Many do not even know the names of all those men on the GB. Yet they are willing to trust their words.

Bangalore

• boyzone
    boyzone

Good point Bangalore

Typical WT tactic. Slander Ray Franz to make their actions seem right. May God forgive them for their lies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit