"But Mom, they're Theocratic"

by Gram 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gram
    Gram

This was my argument to be allowed to go out with our "group" back in the 1960's. "The Young Ones", as they are now called -- anyway we hung out from several local congs. ages from about 15 - 25, give or take. Never got into any trouble, but sure had a lot of fun. Counted french fries, rode in convertables in the winter with the top down and the heater going at full blast, drove around and around in a cul-de-sac while laughing hysterically, no drugs, no booze, just pure fun and laughter. I could go on and on. Anyone with same experiences?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I remember the young group I hung around with about 1970 even had a Monday night Watchtower Study that all of us kids went to.

We also had regular fun like you describe too.

• Heaven
    Heaven

just pure fun and laughter. I could go on and on. Anyone with same experiences?

Yes, but it wasn't with any JWs.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Wow, the 60's and 70's must have been a different time in many ways. No regular fun for me, and certainly no Watchtower Study with young people.

• blondie
    blondie

The informal WT studies ended about 1980/1981 with the "Great Apostasy." We had those too .

• blondie
    blondie

We had picnics, baseball games, rollerskating parties once a month chaperoned and organized by elders, wedding dances (lots of weddings before 1975), congregation hikes and camping events.

Yes when the "big group" was forbidden and what a "big group" was not defined. all this dropped by the wayside.

• Heaven
    Heaven

There was this real special guy and since we lived in the country, we'd go exploring. We'd walk and run in the fields, jump fences and hay bales. We'd do all sorts of cool things together. He was a great listener too. He passed away in the late '70s... I really miss him.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I only had fun with non-JW's. Regular JW's weren't as much fun and there was always the prayer at the pizza parlor that others could hear. Talk about tooting one's own horn on the street corners. I was embarrassed to be a part of that group.

• blondie
    blondie

We had a good group. We weren't into public prayer for the sake of appearing righteous. Things were different in the 60's and the 70's. We were quite a wild group considering we were regular pioneers. No serious sins, like fornication, smoking, or drugs.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

No fornication, drugs or smoking? what about drinking?

If you say no I must reply with, " Where's the fun in that????"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit