UK Prime Minister: the 1914 generation "has left us"

by Olin Moyles Ghost 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Today the last surviving British soldier who fought in World War I died at the age of 111. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32141785/ns/world_news-europe/.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown stated: "The noblest of all the generations has left us, but they will never be forgotten. We say today with still greater force, we will remember them."

When I bring up the "1914 generation" as an example of failed Watchtower prophecy, some JWs respond that the generation is not gone yet. In other words some Witnesses still cling to the possibility that the 1914 generation teaching was not false. As these individuals continue to die off, such a position becomes more and more riduculous.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Olin,

Amen! Good post ... a baby born in 1914 would be 95 years old today, well past the upper limit of a life span of special mightiness of 80 years described in Psalm 90:10. The point of Jesus statement is that all things would take place in one generation and that those who saw these things begin would live to see them end. Sooooo ... the JWs have run out of time ... too late ... their day has passed ... and 1914 is now a proven fraud.

PS: Your screen name brings back memories of reading the entire trial transcript of Olin Moyle when he sued the Watchtower and beat them ... good job Olin! I met his granddaughter. She and her husband visited at our home, and I attended their meetings for a time. They are members of the Dawn Bible Students. She talked about Olin, and I know that I posted some of this somewhere ... I will have to dig around and see what I said.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Amazing,

Thanks for your comment. The WT doctrine regarding the 1914 generation is just another example of trying to read things into the Bible that just aren't there. If you take Jesus' statement for what it is, it's pretty simple. He said that the existing Jewish system of things would pass away before "this generation" passed away. Well, he said those words in 33 A.D.; and the Romans conquered Jerusalem in 70 A.D.--37 years later--which is within a generation. Period, end of story. Of course, that's not good enough for some folks and they need to have second fulfillments, etc.

That's neat that you met Olin's granddaughter--was she Peter's daughter? That transcript is eye-opening. He really got railroaded by Rutherford, et al.

If you find a link to your post regarding that conversation, please post it. I would like to read it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I wonder if there is a website that details how many people are still alive that were born in 1914.

• flipper
    flipper

OLIN MOYLES- Good thread. I've looked the word " generation " up in the dictionary before and it actually means a period of 30 to 40 years is all . So when Jesus stated that " this generation " would by no means pass away - he was ONLY talking about the Jews in Jerusalem which proved true because in 70 C.E. 37 years later the Roman armies destroyed and leveled Jerusalem.

There was no 20th century application or 21st century for that matter . So these people are waiting on a fantasy that doesn't exist. Sad really

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I did the math math once. Less than a million. I am thinking it was either 50 or 500K. I can't remember. Sorry. I did it last year when my mom and I had that conversation:)

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

No wonder that it appears that the WTBS keep the subject about the generation low key. It seemed that they brought the subject up repeatedly to emphasize that the end was close, now it is seldom brought up.

Even the GB has more members who are 50s year of age. Makes one wonder when they will change the 1914 date to something more recent.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Also the jws (used to) say that the person had to be old enough to appreciate what 1914 meant, say 10 yrs old at least.

That's 105 now.....LOL

• oompa
    oompa

tag to comment later.....i have too many issues about this.....and so wish i had left in 1914.......oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit