Apparently, I'm a feared apostate.

by DT 7 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

I disassociated suddenly and have have had almost no contact with the witnesses since then, so I don't have any way of knowing how notorious I've become in their eyes. I have several blogs that are critical of Jehovah's Witnesses and although I don't use my name, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who is behind them.

Well, I recently heard a story that makes me think that I might be having some effect. I have a friend I met at work who knew me when I was still a faithful dub. Meanwhile, he befriended some other Witnesses in his area and began attending the occasional meeting. So at one meeting, he innocently asks someone (maybe an elder?) if he knows me and adds that he is a friend of mine. He was asked to leave and had to walk home.

It's odd because I don't know many in that hall. Do you suppose I could have really acquired such a fearful reputation or is it more likely that someone was just trying to push his weight around and protect the flock from one of my acquaintances. Has anyone ever heard of this happening in other areas?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They probably thought you sent someone in to punk them.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Punking th JW's can be fun. Especially in pairs.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

JWs are easily punked. Get you hands on elder public talk outlines. (If you aren't a former elder) Call a congo on the other end of the continent, or a remote island in the Pacific and mention you are an elder and are visiting the area. Do so in your very best self important elderish JWese. Do so in advance. There is a strong chance they won't call your congo to verify creds. Overworked elders start to miss steps. There is a decent chance you will have the privlish of the public talk there if they bring it up. Harried elders are always trying to stack up speakers well in advance. Go on vacation over in that place. Shave your facial hair. Dust off your suit. Have a theocratic haircut. Play it up to the hilts and go out in field circus there. When you give the Public Talk, about 15 minutes in, gently transfer into apostate mode so you don't get kicked off stage quickly. Do so very gently so the people don't start to sense something is vaguely wrong until you are about 5 minutes into apostate mode.

PUNKED.

BTS

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

DT,

Did it hurt your feelings because of your friend being treated like that?

Or are you glad that maybe it drove home a point?

Actions certainly do speak louder than words.

Do you feel it damaged your reputation with your friend?

I wonder if his other witness friends got a lecture to stay away from him?

How did your friend take it?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Wow DT, I guess they think "apostate" is some kind of fatal virus there or something.

You don't seem that scary to me. So don't starting thinking you're "all that" !

B the X

• DT
    DT

Thanks for your comments.

Burn the Ships, I like your ideas. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to sacrifice my vacation time though in order to try to pull that off.

Cameo-d

"Did it hurt your feelings because of your friend being treated like that?

Or are you glad that maybe it drove home a point?

No, I thought it was funny and strangely satisfying. I'm glad my DA is having some kind of effect. I'm afraid it may have hurt his feelings, so I feel bad about that.

"Do you feel it damaged your reputation with your friend?"

Well, it took him a long time to mention this to me, but we are pretty good friends now. I think it might have helped him to see how vindictive JW's can be so maybe he can better empathise with apostates like me.

I'm amazed that they would be willing to "stumble" a new one because of their paranoid fear of apostates. If they had love, I would think they would be willing to take a chance in order to help someone who was showing interest.

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

I recently found out that there was a number of people working in my office who were ex-jw’s. Apparently they all knew each other back in the early 90’s and all got DF’d when they were teenagers. The story I was told was that there was 1 guy who was not a JW who became friends with 3 witness “kids” and by kids I mean over 15 but under 20, he too was about this age at the time.

One by one these kids dropped out of the church, each one mentioned the one unbeliever by name during the JC process. According to the odd man out there was standing orders from the elders that if he showed up or anyone heard that their children were hanging around him they should contact the elders immediately.

This guy is/was an atheist, he also had drug habits, and he would bed anything that moved. Apparently this lifestyle appealed to JW kids more than anything else lol. In the end he got about 3 people out, those 3 people met and married their soul mates a few years later and now have awesome jobs, awesome families and couldn’t be happier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit