Does the name Jehovah actually exist in the original Hebrew language?

by Yizuman 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I always thought that Jesus had to come because of Adam and Eve.....am I wrong?

The Old covenant was one of Laws and rules and that didn't work very well did it?

There was also the issue of man doing horrid things and attributing it to God and using the fear of God to control each other ( I am a jealous God, a vengeful God, etc) and Jesus had to clear that up also.

Jesus saved us by his sacrifice, yes, but he also correct the OT view of what God is and what God wants ( A God of Love and forgiveness, Mercy not sacrifice, etc) and also to give a New Covenant based on Faith and Grace and a new commandment ( love one another, even your enemies).

• Frank4YAHWEH
    Frank4YAHWEH

The Jehovah's Witness' own Aid to Bible Understanding says, "The first recorded use of this form [Jehovah] dates from the 13th century C.E. [after Messiah]. Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270. Hebrew scholars generally favor ‘Yahweh’ as the most likely pronunciation" (pp. 884-885).

"While inclining to view the pronunciation "Yah-weh" as the more correct way, we have retained the form "Jehovah" because of people's familiarity with it ..." (The same quote is found in the preface of The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, 1969).

Steven T. Byington, The Bible in Living English published by the Jehovah's Witnesses Watchtower Bible & Tract Society in the preface states that the pronunciation Jehovah is "A BLUNDER".

http://yahweh.yolasite.com

I don't know what to believe. What is GOD's name?
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Who knows??

The only problem that I have with "Jehovah" is that the WTBTS is fully aware that "Jehovah" is not correct, but they claim their use of "Jehovah" proves they are "the truth."

Millions of JWs believe they are part of the "one true religion" because only they have restored the divine "name" to its rightful place! Right??? They claim that "false religions" hate God's "name."

How do the GB, the brother's of Christ, the mouthpiece of God, make sure that JWs are spreading "accurate knowledge" about the creator of the Universe? They don't.

Instead, they consistently allow the R&F to believe a lie. Not only that, but the GB approve of the WTBTS writing department's continued practice of misquoting sources, taking quotes out of context, not even citing sources, and just plain lying to perpetuate the brand name "Jehovah."

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Perhaps the WTS wanted to use Jehovah because its the Christian, although Catholic translation from that of Yahweh the Hebrew translation or pronunciation.

Nevertheless its quite obvious now that the WTS. exploited, lied and commercialized the Gospel for their own literature proliferation.

Its a fraudulent religious publishing house that is structured around religious social directives.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

All the arguments about the pronunciation and use of Jehovah or Yahweh or whatever are pointless. The "Original Hebrew language" is a very doubtful concept in itself, as is the nationhood of "Israel".

The Priest Ezra, and his companions concocted the "Hebrew" Bible , or Bible for returned Jews from Babylonian exile, as a Political Tract to keep the Jews together. He obviously drew on earlier source material, but was the Tetragrammaton in that early stuff ? who knows ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit