Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

by Thirdson 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I'm not one for Christmas music generally. Mrs Thirdson has been playing various CDs at home and in my car when we are together and I appreciate some of the music but at this time of year I tend to hear too much. Of course growing up I despised Christmas music because it was either pagan or just too commercialized.

Today I was deeply moved by James Taylor's melancholy version of the oft recorded song of this title. I thought it captures the mood of so many people today and especially of those who have lost loved ones in the tragic events of this year. I heard it played on National Public Radio this morning while driving to work. At work I went to the NPR web site and listened to the recording again (several times actually). I couldn't possibly count the number of times I have heard that song but today was the first time I listened.

The song will be released on an album next April but if you want to listen to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" you can via a RealPlayer at this link, or via the main site should this not work.
    { http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2001/dec/james_taylor/011219.james_taylor.html

{ http://www.npr.org

(Mrs Thirdson thinks it very strange that I like sad songs the most (sad movies too.)) Since leaving the JWs I have experienced so much for the first time and this is just one example of discovering a classic for the first time.

I hope you enjoy this version as much as this sentimental fool.

Thirdson

• Celtic
    Celtic

Chink Chink!!

Peaceful tidings!!

Mark

• Andee
    Andee

Ahhhhh, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

First sung by Judy Garland in the movie Meet Me in ST. Louis.

I like that one too.

Andee

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

G'day Thirdson,

Enjoy the sad bro.T, I love the deep brooding piano and dark haunting lyrics of Nick Cave so what can i criticise? ;) Thanks (now you got me humming Judy Garland lol)

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. Lee.

PS: Like your Kofi Annan quote. Aren't the powder kegs blowing at the moment.

• Princess
    Princess

Thanks for the link, loved it!

Princess

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

That is my favorite Christmas song, Thirdson. I love the Karen Carpenter version, the Martina McBride version isn't bad either...will definitely have to check out the James Taylor version. Thanks for the link.

I have a special memory of this song.

For my "first" Christmas, the year that Justin and I were married, we didn't have a tree because we were going on vacation.

We were in a beautiful hotel with a convention center, and we had left our daughter with my sister at the room and gone on a midnight explore through the place.

We happened upon a piano, and with no one around for miles it seemed, I couldn't resist playing. A few moments later, a plain clothes security officer came by and smiled at me as he went on his rounds.

I stopped and looked at him apologetically, and he said "No, no you're fine, keep going. But if you want to play the really good piano, go down the back escalator into the convention center. The acoustics are amazing."

We did just that, and we found the most amazing full sized grand piano. I played it a little while, and then when we went to leave, "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" came on through the overhead speaker system. It was 2 in the morning, and here we were, just the two of us, next to this enormous, gorgeous tree in a world class hotel, and we started dancing. I sang the song in Justin's ear, and he smiled. He said something sweet about my voice when it was over, and we walked hand and hand back toward the lobby.

I knew that it was my first moment of pure Christmas magic, and that I would remember it the rest of my life.

Thanks for reminding me of that moment, Thirdson. I really needed it this morning.

Best of holidays and a safe and healthy 2002 for you, the Mrs and your son...

*hugs*
    Essie

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Thanks Es for sharing your story about "a Merry little Christmas" I'm glad it brings back fond memories. Uncle Zerubalbruce thanks for your greetings, have a great time with your family.

We thought we were going to miss a white Christmas this year but the snow started a couple of hours ago and we expect quite a bit between now and mid-day Sunday. We have a 3 hour drive on Sunday afternoon but I doubt we'll have any problems heading north.

To everyone who replied here and to everyone on this board we wish you all a safe, peaceful and merry little Christmas.

From all us, the Thirdson family in Minnesota and especially me,

Simon

• ISP
    ISP

Hi thirdson!

Mrs ISP bought a CD with xmas songs on, also! This is a nice song! Good link.

Best Wishes

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit