Prince Album Reviewed: JW Influence Noted

by MadApostate 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Prince of piety

Prince, The Rainbow Children (NPG Records): For a long time in the '90s, it was possible to listen to Prince without paying much attention to what he was actually saying. The basic rhythm tracks were so crisp, the guitar playing so pinpoint-specific, the vocals so evocative (one minute, he'd be a '50s jazz diva; the next, some block-rocking hip-hop head) that the meanings of his dervishlike meditations on Holy Lust and other utopias were secondary.

That's not so easy to do this time. Having recently embraced the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses, the author of "Gett Off" and "Kiss" delivers an overblown rock-funk opera about the coming apocalypse and the need to get right with the Creator.

The adventure begins with Prince's lugubrious, slowed-down voice (heard to annoying effect throughout) introducing a jazz-inflected sermon. Despite several inspired moments, Rainbow Children sets the tone: Even the suite's simple, plaintive refrain is interrupted by proselytizing interludes as Prince's usually keen musical instincts get sidetracked by his mission to spread the Word.

Still, buried within this erratic effort are maddening glimmers of the old, secular Prince, moments when a groove takes hold long enough to remind us of his mastery. "The Work, Pt. 1" is an old-school revival-meeting stomp that starts with a heated proclamation of devotion and gets hotter. "Mellow" is laced with characteristically bold, multitracked vocal harmonies. "The Everlasting Now" takes rubbery, horn-fueled funk through all kinds of hairpin turns, and the ballad "Last December" transforms thoughtful, Stevie Wonder-style chords into a rousing (if overly religious) call for unity.

Tom Moon
    Philadelphia Inquirer

• sf
    sf

Please provide url's with your pastes MA.

Thanks.

sKally

• bigboi
    bigboi

Hey Mad:

I 've also heard the buzz about Prince's new album. The critics are raving about it. That has to account for something becasue I can't remember the last time an album contained wht can be virtually be called sermons as interludes and still be recognized as avante garde. I wonder what the commercial reponse will to it will be or has been, if it's already been relaeased.

ONE....

bigboi

"it's like the one thing we all have in common is that we
    got played by a cult and a bunch of old men and no matter what it will
    always be a part of us no matter how much we distance ourselves from it"
    ~ Ghostquote

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

HOLLYWOOD --

Nona Gaye is following in some mighty big footsteps.

Her father Marvin Gaye was a much-beloved soul singer who was shot and killed by his father after an argument on April 1, 1984, when Nona was just 10 years old."People love my father. They cry on my shoulder because they miss him so much. They want me to be him," says Gaye, who is a model, singer and actress.

"I believe my father is guiding me. When I meditate, I talk to him as if he were still here and I ask for his help."

Several record producers have asked Nona to do a posthumous duet of her father's hit single How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved You).

"It's something I want to do but I want to wait until I have established myself and my style.

I'm working on a new album right now.

"I released my first album when I was 18."

Nona performed the duet Love Sign with Prince.

"Prince is really into being a Jehovah's Witness. We haven't spoken since he converted."

In Michael Mann's biopic Ali, Gaye plays Muhammad Ali's second wife Belinda Boyd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit