State Defense Force Duty All Weekend

by Bendrr 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I volunteered for a support mission at our last drill. Support 4th Batallion at a large 4th of July event at a state park in their area. A Corporal and our Command Sergeant Major also volunteered.

I was only up for 21 hours including travel time.

Only on my feet for a little over 14 hours straight. Literally. I hope they stop hurting soon.

At least patrol caps were authorized instead of berets. What that means is someone took one for the team and "misplaced" their beret, I don't care what anyone tells you. That's how it works. And round about 1600 (4pm) the "top" (First Sergeant) came around and authorized us to "deblouse" which means we could take off the long-sleeve ACU (Army Combat Uniform) jackets because of the heat.

Reed Bingham State Park does not have sufficient parking areas to support an attendance of over 12,000 people. We were briefed on where we *could* park everyone in 4th Batallion Alpha Company's AO (Area of Operations) but basically had to tour them ourselves and come up with our own plans. That's what we spent part of the morning doing.

And of course if you've ever been in the military, you know that as soon as the operation begins, throw all plans (A, B, C, and D) out the window and just make it work the best you can.

We got the parking handled. Somehow. I had to yell at a couple of dips**t E-1's. Repeatedly. Finally I got one assigned to something easy that didn't involve thinking because I was tired of his whining and having to yell at him in front of civilians for not doing his f***ing job. They enjoyed the "show" and one of them was retired Army and he said "they never f***ing listen, do they?" but still I do regret having to behave less than professionally in front of an audience. I'm probably lucky the one E-1 didn't complain, as his father is a high-ranking NCO, but not too worried about it. My own 1SG has got my back.

The fireworks show was cool as hell. They all are. I just wish they'd move the 4th of July to a cooler month. The people were great. The "scenery" was AWESOME if you know what I mean. I got flirted with by hot chicks in bikinis all day. And yes, I got handed a few phone numbers.

I carpooled with a Corporal from my unit. She drove us down in the morning, I took the wheel on the way home. I got home at 0200 (2am) this morning after getting up at 0500 (5am) yesterday morning. Unfortunately, no pictures. Unless someone else took some. No time to take any, though I could have filled up my camera with pics of all the pretty girls. God bless America!

But the weekend wasn't over for me and the Corporal.

Friday afternoon, our own 1SG (First Sergeant) called me and informed me that the WWII veteran grandfather of one of 2nd Batallion's troops passed away and that we were requested to provide an honor guard at the funeral today. Way the hell down south of here in Eastman. Yes Sergeant, I'm GO.

So I managed to sleep in today until 1100, when 1SG Dill called and woke me up. Get your ass in gear, Ganas! Roger that, Sergeant! Dumped some coffee down my throat, showered, put my uniform back on, and hauled ass down to Dublin to meet up with CPL (Corporal) Green who I'd carpooled with down to Saturday's support mission. We managed to squeeze in a quick lunch at Waffle House (only meal I've had today) before driving another half hour to the funeral home in Eastman.

Neither of us have served on an honor guard, even though she's prior service. 1SG Dill was there along with his son who is Navy ROTC (spiffy uniform, btw), as well as our Command Sergeant Major (who literally is EVERYWHERE 24/7 and doesn't sleep), our S-4 Captain, and 2nd Batallion's Chaplain LTC (Lieutenant Colonel). Honor guard training was quick. Huddle up and 1SG says "here's what everyone is going to do". We pulled it off without a hitch. Including flag detail. 1SG Dill and his son folded the flag while CPL Green and I kept it straight and tight. It is harder than it looks.

All of us had to try really hard not to choke up during the service, and especially when the bugler played Taps, but we pulled it off and made it happen.

Finally, and I mean f***ing finally, this weekend is finally over with. I have exactly one weekend off (unless something happens) and then have a 3-day FTX (Field Training Exercise) during which I'll be outdoors and get very little sleep and enjoy no air conditioning. The PT regimen I've been assigned to come up with is due for the FTX. Just to be an a**hole, I'm going to ask the 6th Degree Black Belt Master at my TaeKwonDo school to help me put it together.

I don't get paid for this. This is all volunteer work. It's a tradition Force-wide to joke about our lack of pay. "Just take it out of my check" or "You're promoted, so there's gonna be more zero's on your check" and stuff like that. We all do it because we want to. If you've ever thought about how you could help people, there's no better way than to join your local State Guard or State Defense Force. Do what you may not have been able to do because of being in the Witnesses and serve in uniform. The pay sucks (ha ha), the hours can be long sometimes, but the reward is being part of something bigger than you and serving when needed.

It has been a great experience for me. I strongly recommend at least looking into it.

Hoo-Ah!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

We got the parking handled. Somehow.

I guess you were a parking attendent at the conventions???

Thanks for sharing your weekend.......It would take special training for me to learn all the new lingo you guys have,

sorry it was hot ..........glad you got to see some hot babes!!

Thanks for your service,

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit