Do JWs believe Lucifer is Satan, the Devil?

by cameo-d 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Does WT teach that these are all names for the same entity and that this entity is actually a fallen angel creature?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Cameo-d

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Rutherford used to use the name Lucifer to refer to Satan in his pre-fall state. This was dropped after he died.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They used to in the Rutherford era.

The entire teaching was what the RC church teaches - so of course they HAD to change it (HAHAHAHA). The passage now refers to the King of Tyre, and has no other secondary application (unlike all the other botched up interpretations.)

In one fo the old books that teaches this Adam and Eve are shown in Eden, and there is a snake with legs apparently talking to them.

HB

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The passage now refers to the King of Tyre,

You're thinking of Ezekiel 28, Hamster.

What is the answer to the movie question?

"not yet, no, not yet"?

Sylvi

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Does WT teach that Lucifer, as the King of Tyre, is a human being? an ordinary mortal?

Is the name Lucifer no longer linked with "satan" or "devil"?

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

It was used for Satan according to Russell as well, I think it is used for the Babylonian Dynasty at the moment.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I fail to see the relation between the name 'Lucifer' and Satan.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w02 9/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

• Is Lucifer a name that the Bible uses for Satan?The name Lucifer occurs once in the Scriptures and only in some versions of the Bible. For example, the KingJamesVersion renders Isaiah 14:12: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!"

The Hebrew word translated "Lucifer" means "shining one." The Septuagint uses the Greek word that means "bringer of dawn." Hence, some translations render the original Hebrew "morning star" or "Daystar." But Jerome’s Latin Vulgate uses "Lucifer" (light bearer), and this accounts for the appearance of that term in various versions of the Bible.

Who is this Lucifer? The expression "shining one," or "Lucifer," is found in what Isaiah prophetically commanded the Israelites to pronounce as a "proverbial saying against the king of Babylon." Thus, it is part of a saying primarily directed at the Babylonian dynasty. That the description "shining one" is given to a man and not to a spirit creature is further seen by the statement: "Down to Sheol you will be brought." Sheol is the common grave of mankind—not a place occupied by Satan the Devil. Moreover, those seeing Lucifer brought into this condition ask: "Is this theman that was agitating the earth?" Clearly, "Lucifer" refers to a human, not to a spirit creature.—Isaiah 14:4, 15, 16.

Why is such an eminent description given to the Babylonian dynasty? We must realize that the king of Babylon was to be called the shining one only after his fall and in a taunting way. (Isaiah 14:3) Selfish pride prompted Babylon’s kings to elevate themselves above those around them. So great was the arrogance of the dynasty that it is portrayed as bragging: "To the heavens I shall go up. Above the stars of God I shall lift up my throne, and I shall sit down upon the mountain of meeting, in the remotest parts of the north. . . . I shall make myself resemble the Most High."—Isaiah 14:13, 14.

"The stars of God" are the kings of the royal line of David. (Numbers 24:17) From David onward, these "stars" ruled from Mount Zion. After Solomon built the temple in Jerusalem, the name Zion came to apply to the whole city. Under the Law covenant, all male Israelites were obliged to travel to Zion three times a year. Thus, it became "the mountain of meeting." By determining to subjugate the Judean kings and then remove them from that mountain, Nebuchadnezzar is declaring his intention to put himself above those "stars." Instead of giving Jehovah credit for the victory over them, he arrogantly puts himself in Jehovah’s place. So it is after being cut down to the earth that the Babylonian dynasty is mockingly referred to as the "shining one."

The pride of the Babylonian rulers indeed reflected the attitude of "the god of this system of things"—Satan the Devil. (2 Corinthians 4:4) He too lusts for power and longs to place himself above Jehovah God. But Lucifer is not a name Scripturally given to Satan.

Yet in 1950 and 1954

*** w50 6/1 pp. 172-173 A Completely New World for This Globe ***But did it remain pure and virtuous in its integrity? Did that first world continue as a part of God’s universal organization, submissive to Jehovah’s sovereign domination? The tragic facts that followed and which are now a part of mankind’s woeful history show that it did not. Rebellion broke out. Covetousness and lawlessness entered the heart of the "anointed cherub", and since then he has been known by such names as the Devil, Satan, Dragon, Serpent and Lucifer.

*** w54 3/15 p. 186 par. 7 Stability and Permanence ***Next, Isaiah’s prophecy tells us the form this expression of iniquity took in Satan’s (Lucifer’s) mind and heart thousands of years later when Babylon became the third world power: "For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: . . . I will belike [match, Ro] the Most High." (Isa. 14:13, 14) Those are the initial facts. Now what is the legal aspect?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Snowie -

Yes I am ALSO thinking of Ez - in the old books the passages in Isaiah are concatenated with Ezekiel to produce the whole menagerie confabulation.

I need to get out the old Rutherford books and find the relevant bits. No time right now unfortunately.

HB

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thank you Blondie very much for the research work.

The problem is that I find WTspeak to be rather ambiguous at times. And this is one of those times.

It appears that the name Lucifer was the name of a man but has also been used as a slander word for evil. Is that correct?

Do JWs see Lucifer as being "good" or "bad"?

What would a JW think if you mentioned "Luciferian principles"?

Would they be indifferent to the word or react to it in some way?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit