I just had to do it

by freeman 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freeman
    freeman

I mostly try to keep the peace here in my house and don’t point out the JW BS as much as I used to. But I have a hard time dealing with stupid, lies, or people that harm or put children at risk. I found something that encompasses all three elements on my kitchen table.

My wife just happened to leave her notebook (or someone’s that she borrowed) around with something that caught my eye. I’m not sure if it was from a public talk, or the circus assembly, but my eyes focused on the subheading: Higher Education, with the words: “don’t be fooled by the MYTH” written underneath.

It was obviously a bash-higher-education-fest of some type, and that pushed my buttons.

I quickly wrote a little something up, printed it out and pointing to what was written on the open page. I handed it to her saying, honey you really have to stop challenging me on stuff like this, walked out of the room and went outside to play with the dog. When I returned the notebook and the paper I had written were gone. J

Now that I re-read my own words, I do see some technical errors, however errors and all it is a lot closer to fact then what was being espoused at the bash-higher-education-fest. I should have done the work and researched at the government BoLS to get the latest figures, mine are from January I believe, and the figure for the high schooled educated unemployed I cited is actually an aggregate figure which includes a smaller sample of other groups too, however it is statistically weighted something on the order of an 80% percent sample to the group I was talking about. That said, it’s pretty close.

The Value of Higher Education is no Myth!

Unemployment rate among workers with a college degree of BS/BA or higher reached 3.1 percent. Average unemployment rate of the high school educated person reached 6.7 percent, double that of a college educated persons, and the average rate of unemployment for people without even a high school diploma reached a new high of 10.5 percent.

Salary of a college educated person verses a high school graduate is nearly double, and almost triple that of a person without even a high school diploma. A college educated person will earn on average $500,000 to $1,000,000 more over their high school educated counterparts during the span of their working careers. One million dollars extra in income, double the ability to keep and maintain employment makes higher education a very rewarding investment.

Sometimes it’s fun to destroy the credibility of the faithless and decrepit slave-bugger.

Freeman

• hubert
    hubert

This is a keeper.

Thanks, Freeman.

Hubert

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Theocratic education is definitely "higher in Source" than "Higher Education". You can't get higher for Source than Jehovah, the One whom all must worship (render an account to), even Satan (— Matthew 4: 10). Faith in Jehovah helps one survive despite even long stretches of unemployment. Sometimes the answer to prayers comes via a government pension/ allowance and travel, even in cases of allowed imprisonment such as happened in the Soviet era with the preaching work. In other cases, genuine fellow feeling (such as gift baskets of food left on the doorstep) is inspired by supplication. Some even have had a string of RVs who appreciate their self-sacrificing ministry in support of Jehovah so much that they were offered free board, and sometimes even room. It definitely pays to be wholehearted for Jehovah (Hebrews 11:6), otherwise it's just a waste of time because one cannot serve 2 masters well (— Matthew 6:24). — Spike Tassel.

• hubert
    hubert

Freeman, did you get these figures from a specific article?

If so, could you give us a link to the whole article or the newer article with the new figures?

Thanks.

Hubert

• freeman
    freeman

Hi Hubert,

The statistics were from one of the staff writers at the Washington Post, Annys Shin. I did a little Google searching and I think this is the article that I was quoting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/03/AR2009010302143.html

You probably won’t find the same exact figures at the BoLS because I believe Shin was using the early projected figures (released in early January) which are always revised when the hard data is finally tabulated. Nonetheless, it demonstrates how utterly foolish the JW stand on higher education is. The simple fact is that a better educated person has a significantly better chance of obtaining and retaining gainful employment. And the fact that that a college grad will generally make significantly more money during the course of their life, is more then enough reason to invest in your education.

Thank you Spike for you input. While I’ll agree with you that education from THE MASTER, is more valuable then a degree of Master’s, education via a Brooklyn based Publishing company is not an education from THE MASTER.

Remember these are the same folks that claimed there was no such thing as germs, that man could not reach beyond the envelope of air that surrounds the earth, that the curse which Noah pronounced upon Canaan was the origin of the Black race.

I have no problem putting my faith in THE MASTER above, however I do have great reservations in putting my faith in the Puppet Masters of Brooklyn ever again.

Freeman

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Extremely well said, Freeman!

• hubert
    hubert

Thanks so much for the link, Freeman.

Hubert

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

• The influence and understanding of real holy spirit makes all the difference in what we each do with what we see, hence what we value and the choices we can make. Insight into the ingredients of true love, true joy, etc. makes a recipe for what CAN last, even forever, with real heart-felt determination.
    • It is true that a graduate of post-secondary education CAN qualify for a line of higher-pay jobs. But, it can also call for more commitment of time, often being in an environment where spiritual discussion is discouraged in favor of "making money" and the "goals of the company", and this combination easier robs one of the ability to maintain sustainable long-term deepening friendships. The journey to graduation can also be very costly in another way, leaving the graduate with a big debt-burden, and unnecessary stress and compromise, and little time or interest in what is really important.
    • It is as Ecclesiastes 7:12 states: For wisdom is for a protection the same as money is for a protection; but the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom itself preserves alive its owners.
    • In reality, Satan's world will soon be brought to nothing (even though it will apparently be briefly resurrected at the end of the Millenium), whereas Jehovah's world will go on without end. So, each must discern where the real, stable, enlightening wisdom lies, and not be fooled by the rest. The real goal, favor with Jehovah, must always be in focus. Without it, the hope of everlasting life, the real life, is soon clouded over and, thus, lost.
    — Spike Tassel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit