I went to an ACOC meeting the other day

by mindmelda 1 Replies latest jw experiences

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I went to my first ACOC (Adult Children of Alcoholics) meeting Friday. I think I had one of the most spiritually uplifting experiences of my life. I've NEVER fet the intensity of love and acceptance at a KH that I felt at this meeting with a group of women that I'd only known an hour. When we held hands and prayed the "serenity prayer" and people there talked about how God (no one said, "higher power" although it's perfectly acceptable) was healing their brokenness, I felt I was truly among "Christians" although I have no idea if all of them were, of course.

It's not a "religion" but it has a very alive and profound spiritual component that is very healing. Beats the holy living hell out of anything I've ever experienced as a Witness spiritually speaking.

If you were raised in shame, rage, guilt, fear, addiction (to anything), compulsion, I highly recommend it.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Good for you!

I just saw your post...6 days and no comments...yeesh! Could use some of that love right here!

I know what you mean about feeling that love and connection with a group unlike any ever at the Kingdom Hall! I had that once after a church service at Christmas time! Everyone gathered, held hands and sang. It was amazing!

I'm glad you found a warm and welcoming harbor!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit