Polygamy -- Mormons vs. JW's -- first to straighten things out?

by Fatfreek 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

This is not a trick question.

Len

• besty
    besty

mormons

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Yea -- Besty wins the prize!!!

Thanks to Blondie's comment a few days ago this topic raised its ugly head. When out in FS years ago we were always quick to jump on the Mormons for their practice. While Mormons officially conformed in 1890, it took JW's another 57 years (1947) before it was finally a prohibited practice.

Len

• reniaa
    reniaa

I see so Jws are known for polygamous marriages as a teaching for their church like mormons were?

I must have missed that.

Or did they finally actually see that other religions and people did this and felt it should be emphasised it was something Jws wouldn't do from bible teaching?

Reniaa

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I think Reniaa has a point. JWs tolerated polygamy, but did not teach it as a cardinal doctrine like the Mormons did before 1890. Their toleration was similar to what many other religions did when they encountered a culture that found polygamy acceptable.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The Bible Students and JW's never condoned or practiced polygamy. On the other hand, Joseph Smith (Smith's successor, Brigham-Young, initially rejected it but later fervently practiced it) proclaimed it as a revelation from heaven and for a long time Mormons not only practiced polygamy fervently, they believed it was sacred and necessary for eternal salvation.

• wobble
    wobble

I just heard that the GB has had Noo Lite and polygamy is now a conscience matter, so who of you is going back, and who is running further away?

Love

wobble

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek
    Reniaa: Or did they finally actually see that other religions and people did this and felt it should be emphasised it was something Jws wouldn't do from bible teaching?
    YY2: The Bible Students and JW's never condoned or practiced polygamy.

Neither is correct. No, it finally dawned on them (well, it took some 68 years to see that new light) that they, themselves, including some prominent ones, were doing it

Len

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Oops! I made some statements without backing them up from WT library. Sorry for that. A bit distracted here with computer crashing. I think it's hard drive.

** yb86 pp. 210-211 Nigeria ***

Ever since 1934 when some individuals objected to the requiring of monogamy among Jehovah’s Witnesses, polygamy had continued to pose problems for the brothers. Many who had become associated with Jehovah’s organization still kept several wives. These included some prominent ones who misapplied the scripture at 1 Corinthians 7:20: "In whatever state each one was called, let him remain in it."

However, The Watchtower of January 15, 1947, some months before Brother Knorr’s visit to Nigeria, explained that the Scriptural standard of one wife to one husband must be maintained worldwide. A letter was then sent to the congregations, giving polygamists six months to clean up their marital affairs or lose their privileges.

I suppose "lose their privileges" could mean a big slap on the wrists -- no more carrying the mike, giving TMS talks, etc.

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit