Did you just ask me to lie?

by detective 2 Replies latest jw friends

• detective
    detective

I just had a conversation here at work with a witness who essentially insinuated that he wanted me to lie so that I could save his elderly mother thirty dollars. Don't get me wrong- I feel quite badly that his mother has to pay for certain necessities. Having worked with low income individuals for some time, I've seen some truly sad situations. I do feel bad that sometimes, even though I want to be able to do more for someone, I can't "work the system" any further without jeopardizing program availability for a much larger population.
    That said, here's the story: I was delivering the bad news to this woman's son that her situation did not fully qualify her for our state-funded program without her having to make some payments. The son asked me if I couldn't just go into the computer and remove some information so that she would not be held responsible for her payments. I explained that we(my work) are legally obligated to follow state guidelines and that his mother promises certain forthright disclosure when she signs documents relating to this program. In other words, sorry, no comitting fraud today (but I say it nicely, of course).You know, I don't take kindly to implying that I must be somewhat heartless because I can't bend the rules on some things. Especially when it endangers the programs ability to reach a larger population.
    Then he quotes Proverbs to me. I guess this is supposed to make me feel, what...worse? (This is where I flip the page and confirm my suspicion that he's a witness. So I sweetly say to him, "I appreciate your citing scripture and all but I believe there is also something in the bible about lying?"
    Well, other than one additional mention of trusting a different kind of government, he didn't go any further. Too bad, as I'm having one hell of a day and would gladly spar- I just can't pick fights- but I can respond to comments made to me!

His mother allegedly has a loving community ready to help her! The congregation can't find thirty bucks? No, he'd rather we all lie and endanger the program for everybody else.

I'm just so sick of this stuff.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Oh, didn't you know?

You're allowed to lie if it serves kingdom interests (anything which serves the witness' interests)

And was he an elder or an elders son? because they're allowed to do anything.

• Farkel
    Farkel

With Jehovah's Witnesses, the end always justifies the means. That is how they are taught and that is exactly what their religious masters practice. They are taught in writing that it is perfectly acceptable and even demanded that they lie if the recipient of the lie does not deserve to be told the truth. Who decides whether the recipient "deserves" to be told the truth? Why, THEY do, of course!

Jehovah's Witnesses play both ends against the middle and their system and doctrines are set up that no matter what they do and say and no matter what happens they can always make themselves RIGHT.

They care more about making themselves RIGHT than they do about truth, or even justice.

That's why they are a pathetic little cult who thinks the universe revolves around them.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit