Pregnant & nursing moms at conventions

by Blithe Freshman 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Reading the recent posts about medical emergancies made me think of this.

We would always hear how the society put so much care into the planning of the conventions, but I remember showing up on a Friday morning and there was no room prepared for nursing moms or diaper changing.After asking around I was finally pointed to a dark storage room at the end of a hallway. There were stacks of boxes sitting around & a few folding chairs leaning against a wall. The whole place was covered in dead cockroaches & rat poop and smelled of rodent urine. The second day the brothers had finished adding speakers so we would not miss any of the "food". But it had not been cleaned. We got a few extra chairs brought in , but no table to change our babies diapers on.3rd day it was still not cleaned and I recieved increasing dirty looks each time I passed the "room" all the elders hung out in & complained.

I also was refused one year to sit in the handicapped area. The stairs going down to the seats were very narrow , steap & with too low a railing. I was quite far along in my pregnacy and attempted to sit up top in the reserved area.The brother in charge had me in tears when I was not allowed to sit there. The area was not full & did not fill up all morning. I walked around the hallways or sat in the nursing mothers room that morning till lunch when I got a ride back to my hotel. I did not return the rest of the weekend.

These fine witnesses , really made me a firm believer in the headship arrangement and how wonderful it was to be cared for as the weaker vessel! NOT!!! Anyone else have any stories?

Blithe

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I can remember my wife trying to find the nursing mother's closet and nobody seemed to know where it was. Also, you would have thought that they would have the sound piped into the room so they wouldn't miss any of the important spiritual food. Nope, not the case. But I think that's actually a blessing, looking back.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think the best nursing room is the one right in your own home, where you can still see the computer monitor. You will still get all the spiritual monosodium glutamate that way, but you will not have to worry about the filth or hazardous conditions. It's a wonder they don't have major outbreaks of preventable diseases at these wastefests.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Sorry that happened to you Blithe. In my foreign assignment they had no nursing room or changing rooms at the assemblies. The sisters just fed their babies in their seat, and changed them there too.

From the platform i could see several moms in the audiences taking care of their children.

Lots of noise, no one seemed to be paying much attention to the talk. Nice families, though.

BF

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I made it a personal rule to never decide who could or could not sit in handicap areas or wheelchair spots. Many would actually bring lawnchairs to an indoor stadium and claim a difficulty with any stairs- they had a need to stretch their legs because of their disability. Who was I to question them as an attendant? They set up their chairs or were accomodated in the handicap section.

Also, family needed to be accomodated. If Mom needed to be near the front in the elderly section, her daughter and two grandchildren needed to be near to keep an eye on her. "First come, first served" as far as I was concerned, sit where you want. But that was when conventions were crowded and we would run out of these prime seats. Then it really got fun. I mean, what are you supposed to do when a pregnant woman with a baby brings her two elderly grandparents 20 minutes already into the session? We pull out more chairs and put them on the floor, but then the overlords tell us to stop putting people on the floor. How I don't miss all that.

Nursing mothers should be fully accomodated. They should give them the chairman's office or the press room or something nicer. I have nothing against mothers feeding in their seat too, but very few mothers want to be watched. I mean, even if you cannot see much, watching a feeding is more interesting than watching a man in a suit wave his arms around. Imagine the stares that this scene would cause right out in the auditorium
    Yeah baby:

• cognac
    cognac

As a breastfeeding mom I've learned firsthand how much of a beautiful thing this is. I will be going to the convention this year. And seriously, if I had to be fully exposed to feed my hungry baby in front of thousands of people I really don't care. My hungry baby is my foremost concern. And when she's hungry, I know she will have no intention of waiting for me to get to where I'm supposed to be to feed her. And I have no intention of waiting til get to whatever room I'm supposed to be at to feed her.

I've pulled my boob out before in front of people as they scrambled to make a complete run for it and I have no problem doing it again. I've done that at the kingdom hall and some brother almost died of heart failure and made a run for it out of the room, lol.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

"As a breastfeeding mom I've learned firsthand how much of a beautiful thing this is. I will be going to the convention this year. And seriously, if I had to be fully exposed to feed my hungry baby in front of thousands of people I really don't care. My hungry baby is my foremost concern. And when she's hungry, I know she will have no intention of waiting for me to get to where I'm supposed to be to feed her. And I have no intention of waiting til get to whatever room I'm supposed to be at to feed her."

I did this 35 years ago. Somehow I don't remember mother's rooms back then--it's been so long. I always nursed my baby in my seat. I used a very light weight thermal blanket to cover up with, but sometimes baby would reach up and pull it down--no problem. I would lay a blanket down on the concrete floor to change the diaper. So proud that I missed very little of the session.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Cognac, I would not only not run away, but I would proudly sit where I had a good view of any mother that wants to breastfeed.
    It is a beautiful thing. I am not commenting in some weird demented sexual way. Power to the mothers and the babies.

I just comment that many women don't want to be stared at. Let's face it- any distractions at an assembly are good distractions.
    That would make thousands have nothing better to do than to see how it works for the mother and child. But if you can whip it out,
    power and love and peace to you.

Imagine a special seating section right in front of the speaker so there's no real issue:

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

My experience is that they had good facilities for diaper changing and feeding. Seating could be a problem where you might end up in the nose bleed section dragging along toddlers barely able to balance.

I loved the afternoon sessions. I would walk the stroller up and down outside the arena with my napping baby, one earplug in, ostensibly tuned into FM Convention radio, the other ear tuned to listening to an old friend's gossip or the hubbub of (JW) customers in McDonalds while leisurely sipping a coffee. Ah, those were the days.

• yknot
    yknot

I was lucky we had changing areas in the women's & family bathrooms....... some places even had really nice changing stations.

As for nursing.... I nursed in my seat (KH, SAD, CA, DC), just daring any male authoritive figure to challenge 'Jehovah's arrangement for babies'.

I got lots of compliments on how quiet and non fussy my babies were during the program. I also made a point to use a sling and walk around every 15-30 minutes (comfortable shoes, forget the heels)..... which is especially important if you are pregnant for you and your baby's circulation, never sit for more then 30 minutes!.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit