Health Insurance Cancelled Retroactively

by sammielee24 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

At least with an insurance company, I can dump them for another if they provide poor service, or sue them. If the government runs it, I will be stuck with whatever the politicians push on me. Has anyone tried to sue the government here? Private insurance companies are the lesser of the two evils. Companies may deny claims, but governments deny proceedures. As I understand it, if you are over 52 in Britain, you will not get dialysis or a transplant if you are having severe kidney problems. Oregon instituted limitations on care about 10 years ago.

Having worked in insurance as a broker, I can verify that they do stamp "denied" all over everything. Usually because their claims department is short staffed and this is the quickest way for the clerks to clear their desks.

What comes as a surprise to most people is that insurance is not a gamble at all from the company's perspective. Using actuary tables and their own history, they can usually predict within 1 or 2 percentage points what their claims are going to be for the upcoming year. Same with employers that provide health insurance for their employees.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

If you want to know what single payer gov't insurance will look like, take a look at what happened to this woman

NOT. I'm not sure how you can even equate the two. In a single payer system, you pay taxes to the government who then pays the doctors. You don't get a bill and you can't be cut off because you pay into it. That is contrary to an insurance company who can cut you off anytime their profit decreases - that is contrary to an insurance company that can prohibit you getting care - that is contrary to an insurance company that can bankrupt you if they deny you coverage.

Big, big difference. I have NO idea where you people get these ridiculous notions. sammieswife.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

When the government doesn't raise enough taxes, it cuts your benefits. But hey, at least we will all get screwed together.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    But hey, at least we will all get screwed together.

No we don't. Those with money will always have access to what they want. Those on the bottom get a free ride. This just creates an illusion of equality. It's us middle rankers that get it from both ends.

BTS

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

BTS said:

No we don't. Those with money will always have access to what they want.

Actually, it will only be politicians that get what they want. Hillarycare of '93 had language in the bill where you would go to jail for six months, lose your right to vote, be labelled a felon, and pay a $10,000 fine - just because you had the temerity to pay a doctor out of your pocket instead of going to the doctor forced on you by the government.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Actually, it will only be politicians that get what they want.

The wealthy have political access Mad Dawg. That is all that is needed.

Like I said, it is us middle rankers that will get stuck with higher taxes and inferior care.

BTS

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The insurance companies are now running a newer scam. What some of them do, is each time you pay premiums they issue you a new policy. Then if something happens they pay it, but in the next billing cycle it becomes a "pre existing condition" and they do not pay. Clever! The shareholders love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit