Apostacy.....harsh or ?

by KAYTEE 4 Replies latest jw friends

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

The majority who come out of the JWs, have been given this title because of leaving them.

But is the "word" as bad as it seems, the Wikipedia definition is as follows

Apostasy - is the formal religious disaffiliation or abandonment or renunciation of one's religion

The word apostasy can sound very harsh, cruel, vindictive and definitely judgmental, causing some families great hardship because of this.

My wife who was a catholic before joining the JWs must according to this definition have been apostate because of her abandoning the Catholics. Yet still she was accepted with open arms into the JWs

Therefore why, with some mainstream religions can you NOT be accused, yet the JWs can use this phrase directed at the person (this made publicly), as if you had abandoned GOD, rather than abandoned their assumptions.

KT

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

Apostasy is a greek term 646. apostasia (ap-os-tas-ee'-ah)

There will be a great "falling away" from the truth before the anti christ is revealed 2 Thessalonians 2:3

This of course has nothing to do with JWs as they have already fallen away from the biblical truth

Galatians 1:6-9 (New International Version)

No Other Gospel
    6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! All the best, Stephen
  • chickpea
    chickpea

i use the same application, kaytee

i was a lapsed catholic prior to
    assimilation into the b0rg, so
    by definition i was already an
    apostate....

the word might leave the mouth
    of a dr0ne dripping with venom,
    but it truly has no effect, for me anyway

all it truly indicates that, in light of
    new information or personal awareness
    i (GASP!) changed my mind

i used to think the scariest aspect
    of the former president was his
    pride in sticking to his decisions,
    regardless of new information.....

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

JESUS and PAUL are the biggest apostates, even by the definition of the WT.

They abandoned their religion; they changed their ideas, and SPOKE continually of it to others in an attempt to change their mind.

P

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

P

"They abandoned their religion; they changed their ideas, and SPOKE continually of it to others in an attempt to change their mind."

I had never thought of that, and it is so true.

Well brought out P.

KT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit