What is the Truth? How do you Define it?

by Amazing 68 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    My gut reaction to the original question is that truth must be tested against experience. If it doesn't hold up, the "truth" must be re-examined.

Existentialism is an enemy of religious truth. Not necessarily metaphysical truth, which cannot be quantified anyhow.

Morals and ethics can be tested. We know that to be honest and loving is a more healthier way of living then its opposites. Why that is so is another issue entirely.

Religion/theists/Christians claim that moral/ethics are their sole territory. This is a claim that is getting less credence by the evidence of atheists and agnostics being shown to have morals and ethics too.

Again, personal truth is different from truth. And it is clear that personal truth = faith. Real truth has nothing to do with personal truth. It is important though that we each individually have our own personal truth. But you can't push that or promote that to anyone else.

• Amazing
    Amazing

AllTimeJeff,

I can agree with some of this. Out of respect for your faith, I do not wish to discuss why you believe that Jesus is the "truth" for you. It doesn't have to be a topic for conversation. I would take exception if you thought that Jesus is the truth for me. He isn't. Also, I don't agree with your statement that such a faith must be universal. It starts, not on what is true, but what is believed, by definition, an article of faith. Again, I don't begrudge you this, but cannot in any way call it truth. It isn't true, nor universal. It's not even totally terrestrial, as evidenced by the other religions on the earth.

Perhaps we speak from different perspectives. Having studied eastern religions, such as Daoism (Taoism), Shintoism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism (more of a philosophy) I have a good handle on the fact that Catholicism, and in general Christianity, is not universally known or accepted. Although, about 25% of people on earth are either Catholic or Orthodox, and if we add in non-Catholic Christianity, it is about 33% of the earth ... spread around the globe. I have also studied the Koran, though I have not closely studied Islam. In some Islamic nations, Christianity is virtually unknown ... and not permitted to exist.

The problem in our discussion is how we use the term 'universal." To be 'universal' does not demand that a truth be 'known' or 'accepted' by anyone. A 'truth' can by completely unknown, and still be true, and be absolutely universal. I have no doubt that as humans move out into the universe more, we will discover many new truths ... new to us, that is, but timeless truths that have always existed.

At one time, all people on earth thought the earth was flat ... then they thought it was the center of the universe ... and now we know that earth is a tiny little planet on the outer 1/3 edge of one of the spiral arms of a medium size galaxy, with 100 billion stars; and it is merely one galaxy in an estimated billion or more galaxies. The truth of our existence and place in the universal was not known or accepted by anyone on earth at one time ... but the "truth" was nonetheless true and universal ... and at one time, as some begin to study and form speculation about the universe, it took "faith" using what they did know to 'believe' the universal truth of our existence ... a faith that is no longer needed today ... but the truth stands, and is good. Yet, there are still people on earth who do not know about the universe ... and the 'Flat Earth Society' still exists, and claims that the 'proofs' of a spherical earth to be a conspiratorial hoax.

Likewise, right now, what I accept as 'truth' in the person of Christ is not known by all, or accepted by those who do know. But, it can still be 'truth' and in fact 'universal' truth ... that is, God can be the same everywhere to everyone all the time. Jesus can be his only son, and our savior. Right now, however, I openly admit that this truth in my life, is a matter of faith. Time will prove whether it is a universal truth.

Existentialism is an enemy of religious truth. Not necessarily metaphysical truth, which cannot be quantified anyhow.

No, it is not. People with a certain agenda can become enemies of truth. However, existentialism is an outmoded approach to philosophy. This field is still evolving, and currently, philosophers have moved from finding grand theories to establishing mini-theories.

Morals and ethics can be tested. We know that to be honest and loving is a more healthier way of living then its opposites. Why that is so is another issue entirely.

There are time honored morals and ethics, and time-dependent morals and ethics, and situational ethics. Therefore, depending on when one lives, and where one lives, some things considered moral and ethical can be healthy or less than healthy.

Religion/theists/Christians claim that moral/ethics are their sole territory. This is a claim that is getting less credence by the evidence of atheists and agnostics being shown to have morals and ethics too.

No, they make no such claim ... this is a myth.

Again, personal truth is different from truth. And it is clear that personal truth = faith. Real truth has nothing to do with personal truth. It is important though that we each individually have our own personal truth. But you can't push that or promote that to anyone else.

Personal truth is not necessarily equal to faith. Personal truth may not involve any faith. Faith is an act that one engages in, for different reasons ... some have blind faith, some have faith based on trust and experience, other have faith as a gift. But truth is time honored, and independent of faith. Faith can move us toward truth ... but these two are in inextricably linked.

• I quit!
    I quit!

There are also relative truths such as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Amazing is it true that we are a product of our culture?

That where we were born and what we were taught becomes our truth?

For example, suppose we born in China, that would make us Chinese.

Then we would be taught a chinese culture that would involve a religous teaching that would be the truth for us in China.

The same would go for where ever one was born and raised on earth.

Of course one could abandoned their culture and what they were taught and learn that what they were originally taught was no longer the truth that they thought it was .

Another example:In short. I was born into the Catholic faith. A knock on the door changed that for me. The Watchtower Society had a lock on what is the real truth and I accepted it over my Catholic upbringing.

Some 33 years later, I come to an awakening that they don't have the truth.

25 years a Catholic, 33 years a JW, 6 years later at the age of 64, I still cannot answer your two questions.

Blueblades

• StAnn
    StAnn

This is giving me a headache.

For me, truth is something I seek. In part, it is understanding. The older I get, the more insight I have into life, the clearer things are to me. I'm always learning more and more and refining my opinions based upon the new knowledge I've acquired.

I do believe there is an ultimate truth and that that truth is God. I suppose that's why Christians want to go to heaven so badly after they die and finally get to be with Jesus, face to face. Jesus is the TRUTH for me and I don't think I will fully grasp what that truth is until I'm in his presence.

And since God created everything, I think this truth will apply to everything, whether it be religion, science, what have you.

JMO.

St. Ann

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What say you? What is truth to you ... how do you define truth ... does it even matter to you?

From my (never finished) book on the subject of truth: What is the Truth? If asked, “What is the truth?” Jehovah’s Witnesses will answer most likely like this: “The truth is that which is firm, trustworthy, stable, faithful, and established as fact. Jehovah God is truth, in that His judicial decisions, law, commandments, and word are truth.He cannot lie according to Titus 1:2.”Seeking an answer elsewhere, Webster defines “truth” as: (1) being true; specif., a) sincerity; honesty b) conformity with fact c) reality; actual existence d) correctness; accuracy (2) that which is true (3) an established fact. Wikipedia (online encyclopedia) mentions that “there is no single definition of truth about which the majority of philosophers agree.”In John chapter 18, Jesus told Pontius Pilate that he came into the world to “bear witness to the truth,” but when Pilate asked, “What is truth?” there was no answer from Jesus. There are various opinions on how to define and identify truth. Even with Webster telling us that truth is “that which is true,” I could make a statement and say that it is a true statement, but that just leads to questions such as these; What is a true statement? Is it different from a statement made truthfully? Such highly abstract discussions will get us nowhere. Some feel that truth is subjective and personal, that one man’s truth comes from his inner feelings and thinking, his viewpoint. Many add that truth is relative, only defined by its comparison to something else. This would be similar to the abstract question, “What is beauty?” In subjective truth, different persons would have different truths. Outside of philosophy, truth is not generally thought of in subjective terms.Truth is determined by existing realities, based on facts independent of the mind.Most people think that truth is objective. Some go so far as to say that only absolute truth matters. "Absolute truth" is defined as inflexible reality: fixed,
    invariable, unalterable facts. Absolute truth requires an absolute standard. This is the truth of which the Watchtower organization refers. Even here, we can run into trouble.If I make the objective statement that “Earth is the third planet out from the sun,” another person could ask, “Whose definition of ‘planet’ are you using?” “Is it possible that there are other undiscovered planets between the earth and sun?” “When you say ‘out from the sun,’ do you mean in distance or a straight line?” With religious doctrine, it is no different. Whose translation are we using, and which ancient Greek or Hebrew meaning are we applying? The Watchtower claims that our perspective on truth should come from the absolute authority of the creator of all things. They teach that the creator determines what is right and what is wrong, and that the absolute truth we seek is knowledge of His will for His creation. This is “the truth” that, unlike beauty, does not lie in the eye of the beholder. It’s just a shame that we need humans to interpret what that absolute truth is, and to tell us what
    they think God’s will is for us. I am still on my lifelong journey to determine what is the absolute truth. .... I will not be able to prove what is “the truth” but I intend to [learn] what is not “the truth.” Since the Watchtower teaches absolute truth, I simply have to demonstrate that it is false or not absolute. This is surprisingly easy to do. It is only difficult
    for an inactive member like myself to overcome my Watchtower training and be willing to do it.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Seems to me that folks are confusing a search for 'truth' with a search for meaning . . . . .

• Amazing
    Amazing

Nicolou: Good observation ... I would like to see you develop it some more.

OnTheWayOut: I am reading over your post, and will comment in detail later today. You make some good points.

Mall Cop (Blueblades):

Amazing is it true that we are a product of our culture?

In the narrow context of the question ... initially, yes. I would say that as we grow, expand, get exposed to other cultures, visit other nations and get to know peoples of those nations ... and study their cultures ... experience their cultures ... then we become a product of all that we are exposed to, and a product of many cultures.

That where we were born and what we were taught becomes our truth?

Initially, yes. See my response above.

For example, suppose we born in China, that would make us Chinese.

Generally, yes. However, Chinese is both a race and culture. We could be born there of English parents and be raised as English people. We would undoubtedly take some Chinese language and culture with us.

Then we would be taught a chinese culture that would involve a religous teaching that would be the truth for us in China.

Generally, in a relative sense, your point is valid ... however, in the ancient world, it was also truth that the earth was flat, and that the sun moved around the earth. That did not make it truth ... it just seemed true to those who lived at that time and place. So what is true in China today, may seem true to them, but may not be true in reality. Many people living in Communists lands, like China, were taught that the west was evil, out to get them, and that we suffered in poverty, while they lived in the workers paradise. Most of them likely accepted the lie as the truth. That did not make it the truth.

The same would go for where ever one was born and raised on earth.

See my response above about China ... it would apply across the board.

Of course one could abandoned their culture and what they were taught and learn that what they were originally taught was no longer the truth that they thought it was .

Yes ... agreed.

Another example:In short. I was born into the Catholic faith. A knock on the door changed that for me. The Watchtower Society had a lock on what is the real truth and I accepted it over my Catholic upbringing. ... Some 33 years later, I come to an awakening that they don't have the truth.

Yes ... and I share the same history with you ... a few differences, but the same nonetheless.

25 years a Catholic, 33 years a JW, 6 years later at the age of 64, I still cannot answer your two questions.

That is OK. I am not always able to answer them for myself. What do you think of what I posted above, on page 1 I think:

I attribute 'truth' in different ways to different things:

The Court Room: As a juror I want facts (truthful information) so I and other jurors can determine innocence or guilt.

Science: I want truthful facts and working theory ... but let the truth emerge like an unfolding flower that never stops revealing new surprises.

Philosophy: Truth is too elusive for me ... I generally fall on my face when trying to find any truthful frame of reference.

Human relationships: Truth is honesty with one another.

Relationship with God: Truth (Christ) is that on which I can firmly rely, like a foundation stone, knowing my faith will not shipwreck ... and have an eternal future with God and all my brothers and sisters in heaven ... whatever that may mean ... however it unfolds ...

The Father: In truth is the ultimate object of worship ... the one who I can call Papa.

The Son: In truth is the rock of my salvation, of whom I owe eternal gratitude and loyalty.

The Holy Spirit: In truth is my advocate, teacher, counselor, guide, comforter, and friend.

The Saints: In truth, the Holy Ones are there as friends and brothers and sisters living in divinity with whom I can commune.

The Holy Catholic Church: In truth, the place of reconciliation, healing, and sacramental connection between humanity and divinity.

All people on earth: In truth, my brothers and sisters, who, like me, are sinners in need of Christ, of whom I hope will not let their Watchtower experience, or other negative religious or life experiences, kill the faith in Christ they once had, or may have in the future. (Edited to clarify more than just the JWs)

To me, what truth is, and how one defines it, depends on how truth is being used, and in what context we use it. Do you find any agreement with the above?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Thinking over the topic headline, I realize that I still define "truth" pretty much as I've always defined truth, even when I was "in the truth". And w/o consulting a dictionary, I've always had a straightforward understanding of truth to be synonymous with "accuracy" and "reality".

So when people use "truth" in ways opposite of that, it bothers me now, just as it bothered me then. When I realized that the society was doing that, I left. And it's not like I held them to some impossible standard either; there were things I mildly (and even passionately, on a couple of topics) disagreed with the governing body on, but I still felt like if they had made a sincere effort, and "we" were right about the big things, it was, for all intents and purposes, "the truth". But turns out they don't, and it isn't.

When you put the word "my" in front of the words "reality" or "truth" you've created, in fact you are, an oxymoron.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mall Cop, I was thinking about that this morning. What makes the Bible any more truth than the Koran, the Torah, the Upanishads or the Tao Te Ching?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit