What is the Truth? How do you Define it?

by Amazing 68 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

OUTLAW, when I come out to visit, remind me to drive.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I appreciate your intent Amazing, and I respect it.

I noted in your starting post on this thread that it was in a strictly religious context, which is what I spoke to. I know your last sentence gave questions as to each individuals definition of truth, esp "Does it even matter to you?" And of course it does.

A brief history as to our backgrounds as JW's should give all of us, whether people of faith or not, pause as to the power of the word "truth", especially in a religious context.

You see, while we were JW's, we had the TRUTH! And we talked/argued at people's doors to those who were convinced that they had the TRUTH! Whether they be Catholic, Orthodox, or other Christians, we all can quickly recall just how powerful it was to "know" that we were "right" they were "wrong", because we had the "truth".

My post JW existence has been one with coming to grips on how faith affects people positively. I not only allow for that in others, I allow it for myself in my own way. But I would never once call it true, or truth. It simply is what it is for the individual. The fact that a person has a faith, and calls it truth, neither makes it true or truth.

I am adamant on this one point, only because there are real inherent dangers in the power behind the word truth, which I hope I don't need to quantify. (but I will if you need)

Now faith, that is something different. A personal truth SHOULD be just that, personal. There is no universal truth in the religious context that you started this thread with.

And just for the record, I say this not to argue, (as always, I apologize in advance for my directness) but to make what I think is a very important point that should not be swept under the rug in a discussion about religious truth.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

LOL@GaryBuss!!................................OUTLAW

• Amazing
    Amazing

All time Jeff,

My post JW existence has been one with coming to grips on how faith affects people positively. I not only allow for that in others, I allow it for myself in my own way. But I would never once call it true, or truth. It simply is what it is for the individual. The fact that a person has a faith, and calls it truth, neither makes it true or truth.

Amen ... agreed.

I am adamant on this one point, only because there are real inherent dangers in the power behind the word truth, which I hope I don't need to quantify. (but I will if you need)

Agreed again ... good point.

Now faith, that is something different. A personal truth SHOULD be just that, personal. There is no universal truth in the religious context that you started this thread with.

I will have to think about this one ... because I believe that 'truth' is independent of humans ... we do not control it ... but it exist. I see truth as Jesus put it, that he is the truth. Truth in that case does involve faith ... not an institution ...but faith. And that faith has to be, by definition, universal.

And just for the record, I say this not to argue, (as always, I apologize in advance for my directness) but to make what I think is a very important point that should not be swept under the rug in a discussion about religious truth.

No need to apologize ... you make some good and interesting points ... and I enjoy the exchange.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    and I enjoy the exchange.

Me too, and I appreciate your points as well.

I will have to think about this one ... because I believe that 'truth' is independent of humans ... we do not control it ... but it exist. I see truth as Jesus put it, that he is the truth. Truth in that case does involve faith ... not an institution ...but faith. And that faith has to be, by definition, universal.

I can agree with some of this. Out of respect for your faith, I do not wish to discuss why you believe that Jesus is the "truth" for you. It doesn't have to be a topic for conversation. I would take exception if you thought that Jesus is the truth for me. He isn't. Also, I don't agree with your statement that such a faith must be universal. It starts, not on what is true, but what is believed, by definition, an article of faith. Again, I don't begrudge you this, but cannot in any way call it truth. It isn't true, nor universal. It's not even totally terrestrial, as evidenced by the other religions on the earth.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

THE TRUTH is such a cult term. It is no different to the Hitchhikers guide the to galaxy question " what is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything". Any answer to the question "what is truth?" makes no more sense than the answer 42.

What does the question mean? What is God's name? What is the truth regarding how long to boil an egg? The Question is so broad it is meaningless.

For a JW to say they have "the truth" is absurb. The body of information they believe barely touches on any of life's questions. Of course, the fact that "the truth" changes every year makes it even more unbelieveable.

• poppers
    poppers

so after exhorting to not use words, you use words and generate the last sentence.

I'm just pointing with words - no words are "it". That's why I said, "Even so..." It's the condundrum one faces while trying to communicate or describe it.

The devil have not changed ... is he truth? Or simply truthfully the devil?

There you go again, getting lost in more concepts/ideas . You continue to think you'll find it in them, and you won't. (Now watch how your mind will generate another question, another set of ideas to chase after in the hope that further questioning will bring you truth. You are doomed to a futile search that way.)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

1+1=2 That is truth.

A few loaves and fishes feeding thousands of people with the remaining scraps totalling more than the original whole. That is not the truth.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, everybody. I wandered in looking for blondie. I thought this might be a discussion she would add to, but maybe that's projection on my part. This is the sort of discussion I jump in to.

Narkissos, you offer a fascinating alternative, as usual. If I may interpret in my own way, do you suggest that the search for an objective, external truth can be an "easy out" and hinder people from fully living, sensing, being?

Besides our best understanding of facts, like the periodic table and the shape of the earth (truth), I believe there are a few hard moral truths on how people should treat each other. My gut reaction to the original question is that truth must be tested against experience. If it doesn't hold up, the "truth" must be re-examined.

• Priest73
    Priest73
    1+1=2 That is truth.

Except for very large values of 1. (sorry dumb math major joke)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit