What is the Truth? How do you Define it?

by Amazing 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Garybuss,

You make an interesting argument ... but ...

Planet earth is round = truth.

The earth is actually a slightly an egg-shaped sphere ... it is not really 'round.' The shape of the earth is a fact and is not about truth, though a truth could be involved. It appears or gives the impression of roundness, because from the human perspective it is so damn big ... and the same is true for the other planets, the Sun, and other stars.

Fact may be a component or sub-set of truth ... but truth, depending on the discreet topic, has much broader and more meaningful implications.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I don't know the answers to your questions but I know the WBTS doesn 't have it.

• donny
    donny

I decided to ask my co-office dweller, Carlos.

Me: Define reality

Carlos: It's when you are selling a house or land.

Me: (Silence)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

"Truth" is the guilty conscience of language, desperately trying to bow before something it hasn't made up so as to be justified in return.

A lack of creative will, of poetical courage. A lack of faith.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Amazing, Truth is the earth is really whatever shape it is after you and I are gone.

• poppers
    poppers

So what is that pure, undefined, unlabeled, un-minded truth of which you speak? Don't define it now ... don't mangle it with 'mind' ... don't philosophize it ... just tell me what it is.

That's just it - when you attempt to put words to it you've limited it, you've "mangled it with mind". That's the paradox that comes with truth, it can be "known" but it cannot be expressed "truthfully"; you can only point to it with words. Words are just more concepts, and truth cannot be grasped conceptually. Even so, I'll say this: That which is true is that which never changes. See/realize that for yourself. See/realize what is present in this very moment, and do that without attempting to "grasp" it or define it in any way. Find that which never changes amidst all of that which does change and you've found truth.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"Thats not Reality"[email protected] scared the shit out of me!.....All we have in these mountains is cliff`s and 15-20 seconds of air time if you leave the road.....Falling is a breeze..It`s the sudden stop that will kill you..It seemed pretty real to me!..LOL!!.......................OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

With all respect, this sounds like an attempt to justify faith, not truth. In a religious context (such as found in the bible) truth was evident. Whether it was the Israelites who (allegedly) had the 10 plagues, the parting of the Red Sea, the 10 commandments, etc, they had physical evidence supplied by god. Faith was not necessary, as the truth was apparent, if you buy that these events happened as described.

Similarly, Jesus raised the dead, fed thousands, etc. No faith necessary. Evidence (allegedly) was there, faith was not needed. It appears that for several thousand years, god/Jesus has seen fit to not do anything. This frankly gives credence to viewing the accounts of the bible as stories, not factual. Hardly the kind of thing to call true. (truth)

Is there value in having a faith, perhaps basing it on these accounts? I would think so, but it has to be a rather selective reading of what to take seriously, and what to put aside.

I also think that we have to respect what words mean. To call stories and legends a basis for faith is one thing. I can respect that. To call it truth? I have a problem with that.

If I am missing your point, I apologize, but my impression for you is that truth seems to be for you, religious faith. Whereas the people in the bible (allegedly) had evidence so as to believe (if you take the bible that seriously, I don't) there has been no evidence since the alleged resurrection of Jesus.

Truth will certainly mean different things to different people, and I further myself from worrying about that these days. If you have your truth, you certainly don't need anyones permission here. But to express it as a universal truth, or to suggest that there is a definitive truth based on the available evidence to me is a bit disingenuous, whether you mean it to be that way or not.

Faith is what we are talking about here. If it were truth, we would have worldwide evidence, and worldwide agreement. Since this is in the realm of the meta physical, and what one chooses to put faith in, I must be persuaded to call this what it is, an argument for faith in a higher being.

• Amazing
    Amazing

All time Jeff,

Many people/posters equate 'truth' with faith ... others, as you can see from many postings, do not equate truth with faith, but simply reality. There is no justification of anything ... this post is exactly as intended ... a sharing of what people see as truth, be it faith, facts, reality, science, atheism, or religion.

Poppers:

Find that which never changes amidst all of that which does change and you've found truth.

You have just described the Catholic Church! ... LOl ... just messing with ya ... that which does not change ... so after exhorting to not use words, you use words and generate the last sentence. The devil have not changed ... is he truth? Or simply truthfully the devil? Fascinating, indeed!

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

i think the only real truth's are natural laws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit