What is the Truth? How do you Define it?

by Amazing 68 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

God is Truth. Truth is infinite. We will always be learning more Truth even if we live forever.

BTS

• Amazing
    Amazing

Journey-on ... a good definition for science and philosophy ... and perhaps Christianity.

BTS ... very good indeed! I like it ... succinct ... to the point ... and deals with faith.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Well done, journey-on...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Reality is hitting black ice with your truck on a mountain highway..Losing control and pin-balling across both lanes of a highway,busy with 18 wheel trucks traveling at 100kmh.....Then landing a deap ditch backwards,with your truck laying on it`s side.....And..Waiting 3 hours in sub zero weather for a tow truck........Thats reality!..................................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I liked Journey-On's definition. I think we are both saying the same thing.

BTS

• Amazing
    Amazing

I attribute 'truth' in different ways to different things:

The Court Room: As a juror I want facts (truthful information) so I and other jurors can determine innocence or guilt.

Science: I want truthful facts and working theory ... but let the truth emerge like an unfolding flower that never stops revealing new surprises.

Philosophy: Truth is too elusive for me ... I generally fall on my face when trying to find any truthful frame of reference.

Human relationships: Truth is honesty with one another.

Relationship with God: Truth (Christ) is that on which I can firmly rely, like a foundation stone, knowing my faith will not shipwreck ... and have an eternal future with God and all my brothers and sisters in heaven ... whatever that may mean ... however it unfolds ...

The Father: In truth is the ultimate object of worship ... the one who I can call Papa.

The Son: In truth is the rock of my salvation, of whom I owe eternal gratitude and loyalty.

The Holy Spirit: In truth is my advocate, teacher, counselor, guide, comforter, and friend.

The Saints: In truth, the Holy Ones are there as friends and brothers and sisters living in divinity with whom I can commune.

The Holy Catholic Church: In truth, the place of reconciliation, healing, and sacramental connection between humanity and divinity.

All people on earth: In truth, my brothers and sisters, who, like me, are sinners in need of Christ, of whom I hope will not let their Watchtower experience, or other negative religious or life experiences, kill the faith in Christ they once had, or may have in the future. (Edited to clarify more than just the JWs)

Amen!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Good point, Amazing. Truth means different things in different contexts.

• poppers
    poppers

What is truth? That which "is" before it gets defined, labeled, compared, or judged by mind. Mind takes "what is" and tries to define it somehow, to fit some philosophy or religious concept, and that's when "truth" gets obscured. Is it any wonder, then, there are so many religions and philosophies?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Poppers:

Very interesting, indeed! So what is that pure, undefined, unlabeled, un-minded truth of which you speak? Don't define it now ... don't mangle it with 'mind' ... don't philosophize it ... just tell me what it is.

• garybuss
    garybuss

When superstition, religion, opinion, philosophy, psychology, and politics are removed . . . reality is what's left. Truth to me, is not needing explanation, not debatable, and not reducible. Proof of untruth is explanation, debate, and reduction. Planet earth is round = truth.

OUTLAW's truck story is not reality . . . that's just plain old bad luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit