Let me get this straight.

by elder-schmelder 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

Insight Book under Chronology:

Other factors allowing for differences. Casual students of ancient history often labor under the misconception that the cuneiform tablets (such as may have been used by Berossus) were always written at the same time or shortly after the events recorded on them. But, aside from the many cuneiform business documents that were truly contemporary, the Babylonian historical texts and even many astronomical texts often give evidence of being of a much later period. Thus, according to Assyriologist D. J. Wiseman, one portion of the so-called Babylonian Chronicle, covering the period from the rule of Nabu-nasir to Shamash-shum-u-kin (a period dated by secular historians as from 747-648 B.C.E.), is "a copy made in the twenty-second year of Darius [footnote says: I.e. 500/499 B.C. if Darius I] from an older and damaged text." (ChroniclesofChaldaeanKings, London, 1956, p. 1) So, not only was this writing separated from the events recorded on it by anywhere from 150 to 250 years but it was also a copy of a defective earlier document, perhaps an original, perhaps not. Of the Neo-Babylonian Chronicle texts, covering the period from Nabopolassar to Nabonidus, the same author states: "The Neo-Babylonian Chronicle texts are written in a small script of a type which does not of itself allow any precise dating but which can mean that they were written from any time almost contemporary with the events themselves to the end of the Achaemenid rule." This allows for the possibility that they were written as late as the close of the Persian Empire, which occurred in 331 B.C.E. some 200 years after the fall of Babylon. We have already seen that data, including numbers, can easily suffer change and even perversion at the hands of pagan scribes in the course of a few centuries. In view of all these factors it is certainly not wise to insist that the traditional figures for the reigns of the Neo-Babylonian kings be received as definite.

So because this is a copy and was written 150 to 250 years latter, then we should not count it as accurate.

If this is true then should we count the bible as accurate - since is was copied and written years latter?

elder-schmelder

So because this is a copy and was written 150 to 250 years latter, then we should not count it as accurate.

If this is true then should we count the bible as accurate - since is was copied and written years latter?

elder-schmelder

elder-schmelder

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

This is the most screwup post I have ever done. Why dont it work?

elder-schmelder

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Works for me, great point!

• leavingwt
  • geevee
    geevee

Hi.... remember it is the wt way of discounting the fact that they have it wrong. So regardless of what any secular source might say, if you bag and rubbish the source, that means it is no longer accurate [in jw speak that is] Remember the comments of Ray Franz in Crisis of Conscience. That was part of his job on the writing committee. If you cant find a credible source to back your erroneous position, then criticize the cridible ones. Make them sound wrong.

The have forgotten about all the archeological work done in the 20th century that supports legitimate history

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit