Putting the WTS's UN Affiliation In Perspective!!!

by MadApostate 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

After following JAlward's and other's posts over the past week or so regarding how the Borganization views the WTS's previous UN Affiliation, I thought it would meaningful to consider how Joe Average Elder in Mayberry, USA perceives the Congregation's responsibility to not only to keep entirely free of governmental connections, but even how far a local BOE would go to avoid even an appearance of such.

Thus, I pose the following hypothetical, and invite readers to give their opinion as to how they think Mayberry's BOE would react to receiving this letter from their local Mayor:

-----------------------------------------

December 1, 2001

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses 7524 E. Garthy Road
    Mayberry, NC 00000

Re: Award Winner

Dear Sirs:

The Beautification Committee of the City of Mayberry has voted to award certificates of merit to those citizens or organizations in Mayberry who have made certain improvements to their property which have contributed to the overall beauty of our City. I understand that your organization has contributed greatly to the beauty of our City and the City Council and myself would like to personally thank you.

Representatives of your organization are invited to be present at the City Commission meeting on Tuesday, December 14, at 10:00 a.m. to receive your Beautification Award. City Commission Meetings are held at City Hall, 2nd Floor.

We look forward to seeing your representatives on December 14th.

Sincerely,
    Mayor Barney Fife

• sapo
    sapo

Hi MadApostate,

Beautification Committee sounds like a civic organization which I don’t think would be perceived as political-I think a rep would be encouraged to show up.

The Awake that is sure to follow after a couple of months might read something like this:

Worldwide Jehovah’s Witnesses are known in their communities as clean and cheerful law-abiding citizens. A city official in one European country remarked “It’s remarkable how much more honest and law abiding the JW’s are especially compared to those Catholics”. Indeed, JW’s are welcome in many major cities to use the convention centers to hold their district conventions. Observers have frequently noted how much cleaner the centers are after the JW event than before. Recently, many communities have been recognizing and praising the incredible efforts that local JW’s have done to help beautify their cities. The most recent report from Mayberry USA ... Would you welcome a free home bible study?

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Gee whiz, Sapo, try to play along with the hypo, instead of performing surgery on my verbiage. I obviously wrote this with the intention that the "Beautification Committee" is some department/agency of the city government.

Anyway, thanks for being the only person to bother to respond thus far.

• sapo
    sapo

Hey MadApostate

Really wasn't trying to pick your words apart. I just think from a civic view point which is how it sounded to me they would go for the recognition. But on a local community level I think a political organization would be avoided and no representation would be sent.

Treading lightly,
    Sapo

• MadApostate
  • hawkaw
    hawkaw

Yeah I can picture the BOE meeting right now - Thanks City but we are only allowed to "respect" Satin.

hawk

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

As most every determined, this was an actual situation, and yes, the local Cong not only was a no-show at the meeting, but they didn't even have the courtesy to rsvp.

The Mayor eventually mailed the Cert to the KH address, but still never even got a courtesy reply.

• Dino
    Dino

This example really says way more than the numerous well thought out replies on this subject (on other threads).

Hypocrisy? Oh yes.

Simply profound.
    Profoundly simple.

Dino

• one
    one

MA,

Do you know if the BOE called the WT legal dept to decide what to do?

'we need no award, WE KNOW we are the best, but what about sending us some kind of a grant $$$'

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You make your point well- - there would be some elders wringing their hands with very high anxiety in a case like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit