Squad Leader and Sh*t On a Shingle

by Bendrr 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Yes, you read that correctly. I was a Squad Leader. I was an Acting Corporal. I was called front and center of the formation, the 1Sgt placed Corporal's stripes on the front of my ACU, and I was addressed as 'Corporal'!

And believe me, when those Corporal stripes came off during formation today, it took a lot of effort on my part not to cry. So close and yet so far away.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

After a full day at work Friday, I hauled ass up to GPSTC and arrived about a half hour early. Schedule said IET starts with first formation at 1800 so we kicked it off with first formation at 1745 and the training began immediately with Sergeant Major D**** instructing us on D&C. (drill and ceremony). He's old school, a Vietnam combat vet (hoo-ah!).

And all weekend long, it was D&C. There were no 10-minute breaks between classes. Oh wait, did the schedule say that? Guess what? Take 5 means about 3 minutes before the whistle, and when that whistle sounds your ass had better be IN FORMATION AND AT ATTENTION WAITING FOR THE 1SGT TO BLOW THE F***ING WHISTLE!

Forget taking a good dump or even smoking a cigarette all the way to the end, be prepared to pinch both off!

Class, "break", formation, D&C, then march back into the classroom. Yes I mean march in a column. March as in cadence, as in your left boot better hit the f***ing ground when the instructor says "left!"

Lights out was around 2400 Friday and yesterday. Friday I was up and went to work at 0630. Yesterday and today we were up with boots on at 0500. Showers were cold and quick and communal. Disturbing!

But the coffee was good and so was the food. No one ate less than 2 heaping plates of every meal Cpt R****** prepared, and his shit on a shingle is five-star. Yes that is what it is called, yes HE calls it that and he calls it that proudly. Trust me, his shit on a shingle is some good chow!

Sorry, not gonna edit out the S-word in this context. Deal with it.

Ok, what's this about "squad leader"?

I was the squad leader.

I was Acting Corporal.

Believe me, when those Corporal stripes came off during formation today, the ripping sound of the Velcro nearly broke my heart.

I was responsible for the other Pvts under me. I could not eat until they had gotten their meals. I had to know where they were at all times. I had to make sure they were in formation. I was the front of the column when we marched. If they f***ed up, they didn't hear about it (except for once), I did from the 1Sgt.

The "except for once" is when one of them didn't salute the Btn Cpt when he walked up on us outdoors. Wasn't like he didn't have a warning, I said "Captain's coming!" and everyone went to attention and all saluted but him. Cpt W*****, nice guy that he is, handled that himself instead of having an NCO bitch at me.

DURING CLASS, he looked at the Pvt and said in front of the whole room "Private M******, why didn't you salute me?"

Hey, if it aint' got chevrons or blank velcro and you're in doubt, salute! Saluting when you don't have to is better than not saluting when you do.

We were supposed to have final formation at about 1500 today. The NCOIC's pushed us hard and we had final formation a little over 3 hours early.

Oh and during the classes yesterday, we also did beret shaping. The rule for berets is: if it is comfortable, you're not wearing it right. I spent TWO F***ING HOURS shaving that f***ing wool beret and filled a 12 ounce cup with shavings. Then while we were cramming our brains with info, a Sgt was wetting our berets and fitting them properly on our heads.

Nothing like trying to learn something with a wet lump of shaped wool on your head equipped with a band that is designed to cut off circulation and permanently scar your forehead.

The learning never stops. I've got a list of FEMA courses I have to take online. Final weekend of IET will be even more intense. First aid, CPR, and land navigation.

This is a lot of hard work but I'm enjoying the f*** out of it. Every time I put on that ACU and beret, I feel more pride in what they stand for. I'm proud of that flag on my right shoulder and I'm proud of the patch on my left that says "Parati Servire" and the long tradition of the soldiers who have worn them both. I'm both proud and humbled at the same time to be able to wear them on my ACU.

A duty to my State and Country that I rejected so many years ago I have now stood up proudly to honor; it fills me with pride now to have finally stood up and voluteered to serve, no matter how small the role.

HOO-AH!

• oompa
    oompa

God bless america and georgia........you go dude..........oompa

• hubert
    hubert

I salute you, Cpl. Bendrr. Salute

The first time I had "SOS" was in basic training many years ago. I still love it, and know a good restaurant that serves it. They also call it "SOS".

So, are you done now until next month? Rest up. You'll need it.

Hubert

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

When I was about 5 my dad took me to a great-uncle's house to borrow a tool or something. He was just cooking up Shit on a Shingle for breakfast and offered me some. My dad tried to cover my ears, not pleased with uncle's terminology. I thought it was funny, and delicious!

• Priest73
    Priest73

Thank GOD for the "don't ask, don't tell" rule Bendrr!

Good on you!

• hubert
    hubert

Okay, you did it, guys.

Now I have to go to my favorite SOS restaurant for breakfast and get an order of SOS. Yummy !!!!! Waitress That's me at my favorite SOS restaurant.

Hubert

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION SOLDIER? THE ONLY THING OUT OF GEORGIA ARE QUIRS AND STEAR AND SON, YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE A STEAR TO ME.........SIR YES SIR!

Sorry, wanted to make you feel at home!

• hubert
    hubert

GIVE ME TWENTY !!!!

Hubert

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I have to go back and finish IET on 18-19 April, Hubert. That's the fun part of IET. First aid, CPR, and land navigation. We'll be tested on land nav with a night time land nav course. Between then and now, it's study the handbook and all the notes I took.

I have a good friend who is former 82nd Airborne and he's going to give me a crash course in land nav next weekend at his farm so I can have a head start going in to the IET course. And I'm going to try and knock out at least a couple of the online FEMA courses so I can get the certificates in my 201 file before I get my mosquito wings.

(can you tell how bad I want those Corporal stripes for real?)

It's going to be a busy month. We're still at ALCON 3 due to the flooding from last week's rains. And the weekend after IET, we have our regular drill.

• chickpea
    chickpea

prepratory commands and commands of execution!
    gotta love that D&C! "your military left, recruit!!"

i know what you are talking about mate
    and i have a recollection of how it feels
    to be doing what your doing, and why you
    feel such elation...

back in the day we did "orienteering courses"
    when i was in BNCOC, we had to find white 4x4
    posts in the woods, at night...

btw, in my BCT, fort jackson, sc,
    i was a squad leader wearing corporal stripes

when we had the high crawl/lowcrawl/back crawl course
    (under wire obstacles with live fire at 5 meters)
    being harrassed by the cadre... that was the
    only time i took the armband off.... they were looking for
    the "squawk" leaders to particularly intimidate....

oh! nowadays with the MREs i am sorry to
    realize you will not have a chance to relish
    c-rats!

carry on troop!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit