Scripture Is What We Make Of It - how humans make bibles

by og 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• og
    og

One of the issues I had to work through when getting out was whether or not the Bible was inspired. I decided it was… depending on the meaning of 'inspired'.

My essay, Scripture Is What We Make Of It describes how I got started thinking about this difficult topic. Enjoy!

cheers,
    Angus

Belief Systems & Other BS

"Change your beliefs, change your world."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Angus....You have a gorgeous, well-presented blog. Good to see you around again. :)

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I like that - "Change your beliefs change your world"

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hello Angus. I found myself in a similar quandry once I had left the Jehovah Witness faith behind: were this men inspired by a god to write these scriptures down or not, and also how to interperate these scriptures. I believe today there are many that write inspired books, and they may not be in a chapter and verse style but they do hold great meaning.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    can humans make a book scripture simply by treating it as such?

A very simple and enlightening approach to the dynamics of "canonisation"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe the Bible contains the grandest scam on the planet--only the Quran can compare. Both are worthless collections of lies backed up by other lies found within the same book to back up the lies. And both claim to be divinely inspired by a Being (Jehovah or Allah) that cannot lie, backing up its own authority with itself. And neither carry any authority outside themselves--both lie.

• og
    og

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback, and thanks Leolaia for your kind comments about the blog - I'm putting a lot of effort into it lately, and it's nice to hear that people like it.

I know that figuring out how I felt about Christendom and religion in general was a big, ongoing issue for me after I left. I knew I'd been 'had' by the Watchtower Society, but I didn't know how I felt about religion in general. I guess I'm still figuring it out, but I feel more at ease about the subject when I write and puzzle out how I actually feel.

Hey, can anyone tell me how to get a picture by my posts?

cheers,
    Angus

Belief Systems & Other BS

"Change your beliefs, change your world."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit