How Long Should One Wait Before Remarriage?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

....especially if the mate had died?

Is there a certain amount of time a person "should" wait before they remarry, either because of divorce or due to death?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Great question. "Till Death us do part"

If somebody is terribly lonely after the death of a lifelong spouse and meets somebody within a month or two and they are both older and want to marry - why not. It is not anybdoy else's business. I know it offended my mother when very good friends - wife died and husband remarried in under 6 months - but hell - why not. My mother was wrong to be offended

• blondie
    blondie

I would say that it differs from person to person. Second, third, fourth marriages after a divorce statistically don't tend to last as long.

• junctions-wife
    junctions-wife

My uncle lost his wife back in 99 and got remarried in 2001. I think it all depends on the person. Me, I'll never marry again.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

You should wait until your dead.....That will keep you from making the same frigg`n mistake twice!

Laughing Mutley..OUTLAW

• Casper
    Casper

I have been widowed twice, both times I was advised by my therapist, to wait at least a year before beginning a new relationship. I have to say, that was the best advice I had ever received.

During the first year, a person is grieving and not really able to make rational decisions, due to loneliness they may jump into the first relationship that comes along without really seeing things as they are.

For me, at the end of the first year, I was able to look back on a few things and Thank, someone or something (?) that I had waited.... otherwise it would have been a disaster.

This applies not only to relationships, but also financial decisions, include selling or buying a new home... alot of regrets can be made during that time period.

Cas

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I thought I might re-marry, but once I was on my own for 2 years I decided I liked it this way. I won't be getting remarried.

W

• oompa
    oompa

Dr Laura says never do a rebound...wait two years....i disagree but the premise is good. my grandpa remarried after his wife died in just six month and had a happy marriage of 30 plus years afterward....if you are not a jw....i say any ended relationship could resume in six month, but NEVER remarry (not a jw option)....i would like to just develop a relationship and let it grow..yes gfwb.....without need for a piece of paper....oompa

• minimus
    minimus

Someone should tell that Peterson guy. His wives suddenly die or vanish and he just gets remarried like nothing was unusual.

• wobble
    wobble

I think I'll get married after six months,just got to get rid of the Wife first.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit