The Meditation Room (Memories of a Friendship)

by Euphemism 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

(Warning: self-indulgent rambling ahead... I decided to write this for my own sake this afternoon, and I figured I might as well share it.)

I was a loner in college. Partly this was due to my religion—I couldn’t develop close friendships with classmates, since non-Jehovah’s Witnesses were considered “bad association”—and partly to my lack of social skills, which made me a bit of a misfit even with my co-religionists. Through the lonely years in my teens when I was home-schooled, the Internet had been my primary social outlet. I participated in a couple of Usenet groups, geeky and somewhat twisted places whose members have probably moved on to 4chan, or wherever the interesting people at 4chan went when it was overrun by idiots.*

When I discovered the world of online Witness boards during my first year of college, it was a revelation. I could use the Internet—the medium that allowed me to hide my awkwardness and insecurity—to meet people whom I wasn’t religiously barred from close contact with. I left the first board I joined, because of excessive doctrinal laxity (they allowed a thread questioning the prohibition on blood transfusions); but over a year later, I found a more orthodox site; and in a few months, friends that I made there invited me to co-found our own board: The JW Zone. (Or sometimes, Z0ne.)

The Zone was many things to me. It was an experiment in incremental freedom—an attempt to loosen some of the religion’s more arbitrary restrictions on speech, thought, and behavior, without challenging the fundamental orthodoxies of the faith. It was also a chance to exercise a little bit of the power that, as a successful student of rule and doctrine, and the son of a prominent local elder, felt almost like a birthright. But above all, it was a welcoming social circle, the end of a long search for a place where I fit in.

Since we were spread all over the country, most of our interactions were online; but every few months we would gather in the hometown of one of our group, for a few days of surprisingly non-boozy college-kid (even though most were above college age) fun. As people’s flights were spread throughout the day, our parting-day ritual was going back and forth to the airport, the entire group sticking together, making a party out of whatever we did.

At one airport, I think it may have been Sacramento, we had time to kill between one trip and the next, so we wandered around the airport aimlessly. Finally, we ended up at the Meditation Room—a bland little chapel of padded chairs, blank walls, and not much else.

Luckily, no one was meditating, so the Meditation Room became our rec room. We talked and joked; we paid mock homage to each other; and someone was baptized with a Sprite bottle. Perhaps some traveler came by who wanted to use the room, and was chased away by our noise; I certainly hope not.

But although I am a quiet person, with that group I was not afraid to be loud. Probably we were obnoxious, but I didn’t worry about that. Certainly we were juvenile, but it felt okay.

Our little group changed over time, as people grew, romances happened, couples married, and hearts were broken. When I left the faith, the rules on former believers mandated a clean break. My friends also felt deceived that I had hid my apostasy for months. So the friendships ended with feelings of betrayal all around. A few folks were kind enough to at least say goodbye.

I’ve made good friends since then, and will hopefully make many more in my life. One of those friends said to me the other day that laughter and play are what make life truly beautiful. I wouldn’t quite phrase it that way—I don’t think they are sufficient conditions. But they are necessary. And so when I think of friendships past, I miss the Meditation Room.

*Or so I’ve gathered. I don’t really follow boards now, so no offense intended to any 4chan-ers out there, except for the dumba**es who hacked my wife’s DeviantArt account.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Nicely said, Euphemism.

I have no doubt in my mind that they miss you, too. You never know. They may come looking for you one day with their eyes open.

Love,
    Baba

(oh and p.s... sorry to hear that your wife's deviantart account was hacked... how crappy that is, what is wrong with people?!)

• Odrade
    Odrade

nostalgic. miss you guys.

oh and the hackers are poopyheads.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

*waving*

Good to 'see' you again.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Tnx, all! I do still lurk here on occasion, so I've been reading your posts even if you haven't been reading mine. ;)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    When I left the faith, the rules on former believers mandated a clean break. My friends also felt deceived that I had hid my apostasy for months. So the friendships ended with feelings of betrayal all around. A few folks were kind enough to at least say goodbye.

Howdy Euph! Good to see you again.

I felt exactly as you describe for many years after I left (1989). Somewhere along the way, I left the nostalgia (pain?) behind. Some of it was, I think, healing, and some of it was time. I don't think about them much anymore, and I doubt they think of me at all. Actually I think I thought more about them for a long time than they did of me.

But in the end, I'm glad for what I had. I never had a Meditation Room, and I'm kinda envious and pleased for you that you did. But this life is what it is.

I think you take what you need and leave the rest. Sounds like you've done that.

Be well,

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit