God punishes to the 3rd and 4th Generation! How nice!

by Number1Anarchist 160 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

What was the question?

Here you are:

WTF ! So if your Grandparents screw up God will punish future Generations. How can you be held accountable for somone elses sins?

When you consider human rights are built around premises to avoid this.

Perry has argued in favour of God's unquestionable sovereignty ..., no matter how repulsive his acts might be to us.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

God punishes to the 3rd and 4th Generation! How nice!

Maybe thats just another way of saying it hurts to be stupid.

There are consequences for stupid behavior.

Karma.

• Perry
    Perry

no matter how repulsive his acts might be to us.

optical illusion

hamilcarr,

This illusion is representative of humans. They cannot get past the shadow (in spite of vast evidence to the contrary) of seeing themselves as "good". Humans cannot keep God's rules, man's rules and even their own rules. Yet, (admittedly for practical purposes like getting up and going to work each morning) they see themselves as "good".

This vanity casts a shadow over all of man's perceptions. The vanity itself is a curse from God. (Romans 8: 20)

Squares A and B are the same exact shade of grey.

Notwithstanding this self deception, it is not like we are without some parallel in modern times when the group is punished for the actions of a single person, like I previously pointed out in military bootcamp.

Edited to add:

BTW, you are still avoiding my questions:

1. How do you determine right from wrong?

2. If God isn't qualified to punish the guilty, who is?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Mind you there is at least one other Scripture that says God DOESN'T punish the children for the sins of the fathers. So which is it Jehovah? Its one thing for children to suffer due to their parents mistakes. That happens all the time through just life happening. But when a God states in his own word that this is the case implies unfairness. But then again this is the butcher who killed thousands in the Hebrew Scriptures. Even Satan only killed what maybe ten people?

Isaac Carmignani

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Sometimes, god takes a whim and punishes all the way to the 8th generation.

And sometimes he just punishes all of us through the lineage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn0s5I2jktY

• Perry
    Perry

Truthsetsonefree,

Apparently you didn't read the full thread. There are two issues here:

(1) Punishment of the many for the one. In order to make the statement this is "repulsive" would require (at a minimum) the establishment of this practice as being completely abnormal to humans. I have pointed out that this technique is used all the time in military training to broaden the scope of and responsibility of soldiers as well as to create cohesion, even fusion, of individuals into a single fighting body. This of course was exactly what the Israelites needed (and received from the Lord) because they had to be transformed from a rag tag slave population into a para military unit that would execute God's judgments on the inhabitants of Caanan, thus creating their homeland.

It was also pointed out that this, "many for the one" punishment technique was brief and early in Israels history, just as it parallels the life of a modern soldier. The soldier's "rights" and customs change when he joins the military similar to how Israel's position changed when they entered into the Law Covenant with God out in the wilderness. God returned to a "punishment for each person as due" once his objective had been reached.

(2) Does man possess goodness? Not just some goodness....but is he GOOD? (See illusion above)

If man is not GOOD should he have a right to LIFE?

• Number1Anarchist
    Number1Anarchist

Perry's point is he would serve Satan if he was almighty God. Perry you are as Spineless as you can get. You're saying he is God and can do whatever he wants even kill us and you say you are fine with it is disturbing. What is it with you and illusions are you taking LSD or something because your illusions are pointless just like your posts!

Have you seen any Crosses in the stars latley? Sure do love when show those illusions.

Your comments are illusions!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    WTF ! So if your Grandparents screw up God will punish future Generations. How can you be held accountable for somone elses sins?
    When you consider human rights are built around premises to avoid this.

Hamilcarr, this is the after-effect of evil. Sin, by its very nature, affects more than the sinner, it affects the world around him. The evil we do in the world lives after our passing, affecting future generations, be they culpable or not. The good we do in the world does also. For example, a nuclear war would affect our offspring for many generations. We can see how the effects of some sins can pass down to future generations, HIV and other STD's from illicit sexual encounters, alcoholism, incest, physical abuse, drug abuse etc. Some of these latter sins can cause a unproductive or addictive behavior in several generations. So there are sins that impact even to the fourth generation and further.

BTS

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If a human would butcher and burn thousands of people we'd call him a monster. When someone invisible does much worse people fall down and worship him.

Sure, makes sense to me.

W

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

1. How do you determine right from wrong?

2. If God isn't qualified to punish the guilty, who is?

Interesting, but very hard questions. I'm in favor of an evolutionary approach to the right and wrong. If you're interested, even though I know you reject evolutionary theory, I'd recommend the scientific books "Moral Minds" in which Mark Hauser argues that humans are endowed with neural circuits for morality, shared with other mammals. Evolutionary seen, humans are inherently "moral". This morality is based on empathy and reciprocity.

I wouldn't argue God isn't qualified to punish the guilty. I just think he's been misused by humans to condone authoritarian retaliation justice. I think a god responsible for evolution is a god of empathy and reciprocity, at least that's what I've learnt from rereading the gospels and the late Hebrew prophets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit