Who was the biggest Jehovah's Witness rebel?

by slimboyfat 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yknot
    yknot
    Satanus that story sounds similar to Covington in the US.

Such a sad ending too.

Many in my old KH absolutely loved Covington, much of my theocratic career prep was based on listening to tapes of him talking about the cases. He was very reflective of his era and generation.

• blondie
    blondie

Scarred, you have been out of touch for awhile.

*** w73 6/1 pp. 340-341 pars. 22-24 Keeping God’s Congregation Clean in the Time of His Judgment ***What, then, of those who in the past were baptized while still using such addictive products as tobacco, other drugs, or who are on some treatment such as the "methadone program" and who continue in such practice? They may now be given a reasonable period of time, such as six months, in which to free themselves of the addiction. So doing, they will show their sincere desire to remain within Jehovah God’s clean congregation of dedicated servants.

Surely if one can go through the agonizing experience of withdrawal from "hard"-drug addiction in order to become a true disciple of God’s Son, then those addicted to tobacco or similar products should have no sound objection to undergoing the lesser suffering of withdrawing from their addiction. Refusal to do so would certainly set a very poor example for the person striving to overcome a "hard"-drug habit who faces a much more difficult challenge.

If persons already baptized are not willing to abandon their addiction to damaging and enslaving products, what then? Then they show that, like Esau, they do not ‘appreciate sacred things,’ preferring such habits to the privilege of being part of Jehovah’s clean people. They should therefore be removed from the congregation due to such conduct unbecoming a Christian.—1 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 12:15, 16.

• NewTruth
    NewTruth

I vote for Raymond Franz.. because not only did he leave but he helped thousands of other leave too, with his books.. Although Dwight and Jackson are good, they didn't concentrate on bringing so many out with them.

• Gozz
    Gozz

So, that's it.

The Spirit Appointed time period to quit smoking is 6-months.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Blondie, your 73WT quote brought up an interesting question:

*** w73 6/1 pp. 340-341 pars. 22-24 Keeping God’s Congregation Clean in the Time of His Judgment ***What, then, of those who in the past were baptized while still using such addictive products as tobacco, other drugs, or who are on some treatment such as the "methadone program" and who continue in such practice? They may now be given a reasonable period of time, such as six months, in which to free themselves of the addiction. So doing, they will show their sincere desire to remain within Jehovah God’s clean congregation of dedicated servants.

Surely if one can go through the agonizing experience of withdrawal from "hard"-drug addiction in order to become a true disciple of God’s Son, then those addicted to tobacco or similar products should have no sound objection to undergoing the lesser suffering of withdrawing from their addiction. Refusal to do so would certainly set a very poor example for the person striving to overcome a "hard"-drug habit who faces a much more difficult challenge.

If persons already baptized are not willing to abandon their addiction to damaging and enslaving products, what then? Then they show that, like Esau, they do not ‘appreciate sacred things,’ preferring such habits to the privilege of being part of Jehovah’s clean people. They should therefore be removed from the congregation due to such conduct unbecoming a Christian.—1 Cor. 5:7; Heb. 12:15, 16.

The "methadone program" ... is this still fresh light!? I never heard that one. I know several active JWs in high places that take methadone for pain. Not to mention ongoing oxycontin prescriptions for severe pain...does the WT consider them unclean??

Interesting.

• OBVES
    OBVES

There might be some exceptions but my feeling is that most that left the organization after the failed date 1975 could be the biggest rebel collectivelly speaking . They lost all way of religious life as if they were now the atheists ,enemies of studying the Bible , they live awkward lives and I would not wish to be in their shoes for a moment .This is my impression I am getting .

• blondie
    blondie

First, Eisenhower graduated from West Point in 1915. That means he was not ever in a jw family. He would have been in the Russell/Bible Student era. In that period, the stress to study and train your children as it is today was not the same. Many families did not even take children to the meetings or put them down to sleep in the back room while the parents "dug" into the Studies.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Dwight Eisenhower was raised as a JW? I've never heard that one and I've been around JWs for a long time.

It was cited in WT literature. Specifically I remember it being in a Yearbook in the mid-70's. (Possibly the one where it chronicled the development and growth history of the WTS.) There is much interesting info if you google: Dwight Eisenhower Mother Nice thread. I think I would have to vote Eisenhower, too, for biggest JW rebel. From JW pawn to Leader of the Free World. C'mon. Is there really anyone else that comes close? -Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Blondie wrote: First, Eisenhower graduated from West Point in 1915. That means he was not ever in a jw family. He would have been in the Russell/Bible Student era. In that period, the stress to study and train your children as it is today was not the same. Many families did not even take children to the meetings or put them down to sleep in the back room while the parents "dug" into the Studies.

OK. Not raised JW in the sense the we were raised. But his mother was highly active - as a JW - until her death.

The family home was used for 'Bible Student' meetings and he was raised with conviction by proseltyzing parents.

The witnesses claim him as having been raised 'in the truth' [as it was understood at the time], so we probably can, too.

-Aude.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

RAYMOND FRANZ comes to mind. All the way to the Governing Body and then rebels, OPENLY. :O) ///////// And yes, I love it that the 34th Prez wuz raised a dub. I just read that link too, from someone else's thread about Jerry Bergman's articles. It's encouraging to be reminded that anything is possible. It's not surprising, though. Makes perfect sense in the case of Eisenhower. Religion and government are both political technologies. Not a huge leap, except if he went from being a follower to being a leader. :) Yet boys have been known to turn into men. Is that rebellion or growth? The different religions (and governments) are simply different BRANDS of political technology. Each brand has it's advantages, disadvantages, pros, cons, loyalists, and defectors. Happy shopping. Happy defecting. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit