JW convention 1950 (pics)

by purplesofa 9 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Jehovah's Witnesses Convention at Yankee Stadium is opened officially by Convention Chairman Grant Suiter.

Date taken:August 1950

alt

altaltaltaltaltaltalt

altaltaltaltaltaltalt

altaltaltaltaltaltaltalt

altaltalt

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

That's so weird. I found a bunch of pictures almost exactly like these among my mother's possessions. She died in May. They were from conventions probably in 1953-1957. I don't know the exact years. I threw them all away.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think these came from LIFE magazine.

purps

• oompa
    oompa

OMG those look like KKK CLAN HATS!!!!...geeze my parents were there......dammit to hell........but i did not see them............oompa

frikkin fourth generation....and produced a fukkin fifth........crap

could somebody please shoot me?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Life Magazine August 14, 1950 : Cover - “Uncle John” Hoskins, Naval air boss in far east (feature article). Full page Ipana tooth paste ad with Pat Barnard of Great Neck, New York. Two page Dodge car ad with Campbell family of Evanston Illinois. Full page color Maxwell House coffee ad with country dance art by Lockhart. The bloody war in Korea. Jehovah's witnesses rent Yankee stadium. Five Firestones salute their father's statue. What may be the biggest Meteor Crater is discovered, lake in northern Quebec, Fred Chubb, V.B. Meen and pilot Bill Poag. Campus fashions. Another charming full page color Johnson & Johnson ad with art by Gladys Rockmore Davis. Photo essay - The Montesquious. The Kon-Tiki adventure by Thor Heyerdahl. Art - St. Ives. Campus styles. Architecture - Washington Square. Life visits a country hayloft, Hidden Valley Farm in Hyndsville, New York including photos of Ann McGinnis, Lynn Snoad, “Gus” Gustafson, Tommy Costello, Carolyn Thomas, John Bates and others. Cute photo of Mary Montgomery and Marine Glenn Mordene. Nice full page color Havoline motor oil ad with baseball player Ted Williams.
    G - $24

http://www.2neatmagazines.com/life/1950.html

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Well, my pictures weren't from Life Magazine. They were photos my father took.

Oompa, no, don't shoot yourself. You're out now. Just talk to your child about it. Don't ignore the subject like my parents did. Admit that you were wrong. My parents could never do that. It will make all the difference.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

They will never have another heyday like they did back then. People are too smart today to fall for them.

HappyDad

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

OMG those look like KKK CLAN HATS!!!!

They look absolutely miserable in that pic, heat must have been awful. I am soooo glad I never went to a convention that was outside in the heat.

• Emma
    Emma

I wasn't at this one but the one in '54, I think. My mom was baptized. But the photos look exactly as I remember it!

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

That was the begining of the "great increase" bad luck for us, if Rutherford stayed another decade or two there would be alot less Witnesses in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit