200 BRITISH HIGH STREET RETAILERS POTENTIALLY IN TROUBLE

by badboy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

THE BRITISH HIGH STREET MIGHT UNDERGO A LOT OF CHANGES IN THE NEXT YEAR.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

So what?

• sir82
    sir82

Aren't High Street Retailers from a pagan origin anyway?

Should a JW buy something on High Street?

Any takers?

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

To prove that badboy does not make this stuff up:

http://www.investmentmarkets.co.uk/20081223-2855.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/3868558/Hundreds-of-retailers-on-critical-list-as-high-street-sales-war-intensifies.html

My sphincter potentially tigthens as these retailers are potentially in trouble.

• badboy
    badboy

Says 300 retailers are at risk, even worse than i thought!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

To people that are not aware the recession is starting to become a global situation not just a North American phenomena.

The highly productive and progressive global economy that started really in the 90's is winding itself down, the bubble has burst and its time to reorganize.

One circumstance possibly that may be involved with some of this is that the baby boomers in the most productive of countries are starting to go into retirement,

and so therefore not spending as much as they would have as opposed to the last couple of decades. There seems to be a conservancy going on with regards to their

finances in preparation for their most likely long retirement, which may exceed 20 years or more.

So in essence the generation that proceeded the boomers will be doing most of the purchasing in the next couple of decades.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Yep it's on the way our high streets/shopping malls will soon just be £ shops, and fast food places

• minimus
    minimus

"So what?"

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yes this downturn will be severe - each day seems to bring bad news from the high street. Yesterday, Woolies and MFI, today Whittards.

However, there are always winners in a downturn. I've been reading a report on luxury products (particularly in the jewellery sector) and the consensus forecast for next year is that the lower end will do ok, maybe even expanding a bit, the top sector will do well as long as it differentiates itself in terms of customer service and quality, but where the problems lie is in the middle sector - this will be squeezed from both sides and has the potential to do badly. This is because price conscious buyers will trade down and don't really care where they but the goods from and those that have semi decent jobs will find that they have more disposable income due to much lower mortgage costs etc, and even though they may buy less ofter, when they buy they will want to buy quality and from a quality environment and that means buying form the luxury stores.

Just my observations from what I read.

It's not all doom and gloom, and for some at least, things will be ok.

• badboy
    badboy

BTTTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit