The JW Dress Code

by sacolton 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

For the Brothers ...

• Suit jacket and pants must always match as part of a complete suit.
  • Sport jacket and slacks not permitted.
  • Shoes must be polished (I had to go home and change shoes once).
  • Shirt should be white or close to white (i.e. no dark colored dress shirts).
  • Do not wear bright colored suits or suits with more than one color (not including pin stripes).
  • Tie should not be bright colored or have too many colors.
  • Pants should have cuffs (this was recommended, not a rule).
  • Suit jacket must be buttoned up at all times (although you may wait until you begin speaking to button up your jacket).
  • Never put your hand in your pocket, even for one second.
  • Legs must be close together (his exact words were "do not have a HORSE stance").
  • Heels must be together but toes should be slightly apart
  • If you are holding a microphone, the microphone must be point just above the chin, not at the mouth.
  • If you are holding a microphone, do NOT put the other hand in your pocket (I cannot stress this enough, they WILL get you for this).
  • Do not lean on the lectern (podium, pulpit).
  • Whew! Strict dress-code guidelines straight from the Presiding Overseer. Jah loves the neat and tidy. This is more of a "Society Club" than a Christian Congregation.

Anyone have the dress-code guidelines for the Sisters?

• sacolton
    sacolton

James 2: 1-4 (NWT)1 My brothers, YOU are not holding the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, our glory, with acts of favoritism, are YOU? 2 For, if a man with gold rings on his fingers and in splendid clothing enters into a gathering of YOU, but a poor [man] in filthy clothing also enters, 3 yet YOU look with favor upon the one wearing the splendid clothing and say: “You take this seat here in a fine place,” and YOU say to the poor one: “You keep standing,” or: “Take that seat there under my footstool,” 4 YOU have class distinctions among yourselves and YOU have become judges rendering wicked decisions, is that not so?

Now, when I went to the Methodist church, men and women were allowed to dress however they wanted. Men with sweaters, jeans, tennis shoes, etc. It didn't matter. God looks at our HEARTS ... not at the $1,000 suit you wear.

• sir82
    sir82
    God looks at our HEARTS ... not at the $1,000 suit you wear.

Clearly you haven't been in a Kingdom Hall for quite some time...the sum total cost of all the suits of those in attendance would not exceed $1000!

• wobble
    wobble

I suppose I was "lucky" to be in a tolerant hill-billy type country congo. When I arrived in 1970 the Cong Servant congratulated me for wearing a tie,as prior to his arrival some months before me,even on the platform,nobody bothered.

It was a muddy boots and coats tied up with string congo.This laid back attitude continued,for years I gave Public Talks etc. and did not OWN a suit.During the years 1975 to 1988 I wore a beard,for many of those years giving PT's and serving as a Min. Serv.

I was never counselled about this.

I think being in this kind of Congo.though great compared to other local congos run by Nazis,delayed my waking up until last year,2007.

Their present dress code makes them really weird,how different from Our Lord Jesus,bearded and sandelled he just melted into the crowd,he was not "identified by the way he dressed" as Witlesses are.(Today Jesus would not be allowed to visit Bet-hell if he dressed in the worldly way as was his custom)

Love

Wobble

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Sister's have to wear skirts/dresses that come below the knee. If they sit down and the knee is showing that is inappropriate. Didn't work for me because I have nice legs and love to show them off. My skirts were not tight or indecent, just a little shorter than was required.

Also, no V-neck shirts/sweaters, etc that would show your cleavage.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Hint: The "sisters" are not allowed to wear pants, even dress slacks made for ladies. They are supposed to wear heels that are moderate in height, polished, and "not excessive" jewelry and makeup (I suppose that allowed the hounders to be picky when they saw fit).

Also, they are supposed to have their dresses of "reasonable" length. What they call "reasonable" means whatever is nearly impossible to get at the time. Too long is as bad as too short, so you couldn't just err on going too long. And don't forget the nylon stockings, even in the hottest Florida weather.

Yes, I cheated and got this information from this forum during the course of different years. Enforcement will vary in your local congregation.

• iceguy
    iceguy

questioningeverything I would like to thank you for not covering up your nice legs. As a former "Brother" I would have appreciated that you did not follow that rule if we were in the same congregation.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1
    Didn't work for me because I have nice legs and love to show them off. My skirts were not tight or indecent, just a little shorter than was required.

Also, no V-neck shirts/sweaters, etc that would show your cleavage.

Grrrrrr.....

• blondie
    blondie

This is one of those things that tend to vary from congregation to congregation, but are more consistent at the circuit or district level.

• Suit jacket and pants must always match as part of a complete suit.
  • Sport jacket and slacks not permitted.
  • Shoes must be polished (I had to go home and change shoes once).
  • Shirt should be white or close to white (i.e. no dark colored dress shirts).
  • Do not wear bright colored suits or suits with more than one color (not including pin stripes).
  • Tie should not be bright colored or have too many colors.
  • Pants should have cuffs (this was recommended, not a rule).
  • Suit jacket must be buttoned up at all times (although you may wait until you begin speaking to button up your jacket).
  • Never put your hand in your pocket, even for one second.
  • Legs must be close together (his exact words were "do not have a HORSE stance").
  • Heels must be together but toes should be slightly apart
  • If you are holding a microphone, the microphone must be point just above the chin, not at the mouth.
  • If you are holding a microphone, do NOT put the other hand in your pocket (I cannot stress this enough, they WILL get you for this).
  • Do not lean on the lectern (podium, pulpit).
  • The highlighted ones were never required in all the 20 congregations I have attended. In fact one elder's son wore a shiny purple suit on a regular basis doing mikes and giving talks on the platform.

I can remember one CO insisting that all brothers on the platform had to wear black wingtips...........the PO showed up with brown

Dexter 1957 Seabrook Casual for Men Image

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

A sister in our cong. around 40-50 years old a bit rough....came to the meeting straight from work so she just put a skirt on over her trousers.....

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit