Analogy of the Cave

by Quester55 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Quester55
    Quester55

Anyone remember Aristotle's parable of the cave? About the people who lived at the bottom of a vast cavern and the only contact they had with the 'outside world' was their own reflected shadows onto a wall, and the only voices they heard were their own? One of them breaks free and finds his way to the surface, he beholds the sun, moon and stars, he see trees, flowers, other plants and animals - he sees the world! Finally he returns to the dwellers in the cave and tries to tell them about the wonders he has beheld, they label him as being a heretic, crazy, forbid him to talk about his "wild ideas" The dwellers in the cave are the JW's who only contact with reality is through the pages of their own magazines, books and bible We (faders, da'd, df'd) have been enlightened, we have cared enough to learn the actual REAL truth and when we try to tell our family and loved ones about the many inconsistencies within the WTBTS, what happens? At first we are frowned upon and encouraged to 'get yourself together', this sets up a tremendous amount of emotional pressure, for, how can one forget what one has learned and simply pretend that all is well, when you know darn well that everything is NOT well No the Borg doesn't like independent thinking because a thinking man or woman is a clear danger to the mind-warping control they wish to exercise over the rank and file JW. I work with a JW who was thrilled when I first became a JW, now that she can clearly see that I have changed, 'nose piercing, celebrating my birthday and my 'worldly friends' going to clubs, dancing, drinking and mention of a boyfriend) Once in a while she'll ask me. "How are you with the truth? Are you still one of JW's" I always give her the same answer, I have serious doubts about many teachings and I am still searching God's word. When I say that, her eyes roll 'round in her head and she leaves me alone.

Peace Out,
    LRynda

• belbab
    belbab

I believe the origin of the analogy was Plato.

Just in case you want to look it up.

belbab

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I am always amazed at how the WT denies the influence of Greek thought on early Christianity.

Paul when he said "at present we see a shadow darkly" was referring to this very idea.

But all his other qoutes of the then current philosophy are just trashed by the ignorant shit shovelling Iowa/Idaho farmboys writing the Craptower.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Sorry -

The ignorant Iowa/Idaho farmboys COLORING IN THE PICTURES in the Witchtower.

HB

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yes, JWs preach from a cave. When someone tries to teach them how to come into the light ... they withdraw deeper into the cave.

• poppers
    poppers

Good analogy; and as someone previously mentioned it was from Plato.

• Quester55
    Quester55

Thank you my friends, it was indeed Plato. In my enthusiasium to post, I got my philosophers wrong. I had opportunity to talk with an elder yesterday, he is very sympathetic because he too suffers from depression and has a daughter who suffers and takes meds for clinical depression. I told him it hurts too much to walk into the same Kingdom Hall that I went too when I had a husband, and to see all the people there who knew us when we were together. He was surprisingly kind. Of course I didn't tell him that I was attending the Methodist Church and felt more encouragement and uplifting there than I've EVER felt at the KH. I asked him why don't we have programs to help children and teenagers to learn computer skills, programs to feed the hungry and the homeless, etc...his answer was we do those things, but they are not organized or part of our ministry because then we would become distracted. I didn't fully understand and I guess like the little cave dweller who got free, I can't go back to a closed mind,. I think Christianity is about helping our fellow man/woman. Not to judge him/her, but to help them, point them to God as the ultimate source of ALL good things, and to be kind to others and to treat others as we ourselves want to be treated.

Peace Out,

Quester 55 (L

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

According to Monty Python, Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle and Socrates himself was permanently pissed

• stillajwexelder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit