Just remembered: Oct. 26, 1963, I was baptized. I was 11!!

by Seeker4 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Wow. It was 45 years ago yesterday that I was baptized a JW. Back when you weren't baptized to an organization.

I was 11. Went to a circuit assembly in Massachusetts with another JW family (Circuit MA #3 at the time), and honest to god, we stayed at The Pioneer Motel!

Baptized in a makeshift pool built in a half constructed, unheated Kingdom Hall - at the end of October. As you can imagine, it was COLD!

The family I went with, the parents are dead. They'd been like my own mom and dad at times. The youngest son, probably 8 then, is now an elder in his mid-50s in my old congregation. He came to my house a few years ago, with the CO, to try to get me to DF myself.

When he sees me, he still says hi. I remember his dad giving him a spanking because he was crying one night when we were supposed to be asleep in a VW bus while camping at a Circuit Assembly in the early 60s. We were so small, we could sleep crosswise in a VW bus!!

I was the best man at his wedding, and he was in mine a few years earlier. When his dad died, and then when his mom was dying, they were living in Florida. Even though I was no longer attending meetings, his mom called me and we talked both times. She'd been like a mom to me, and as hard assed as I was, I cried in both conversations. I remember her feeding me great German food when I was 19 and living on $5 a week for food, and his dad teaching me about graphic design and a love of books, passions he'd had before he became a Witness, and they were simply the children of German immigrants trying to escape the ravages of WW II while making a new life in New York City.

People wonder sometimes why someone can't just leave the Witnesses and never look back. For a lot of us, it's just not that simple. There is so much of our history wrapped up in that experience.

S4

• StAnn
    StAnn
    Just remembered: Oct. 26, 1963, I was baptized. I was 11!!

And less than a month later, JFK was assassinated. See what you did?

StAnn

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for sharing that. Yes history is deep with most of us isn't it? I was only 8 in '63, but the indoctrination that would capture my heart and most of my years of life had begun 4 years earlier. I was well on my way. I got dipped in '73, and it was a long 30+ years after before I saw light of day again.

When I hear the humm of a small plane in the spring clouds, I have to wonder how it would have been........

Jeff

• Gayle
    Gayle

I was 11 also when baptized. I was there for 25+ years. Move on, yes, I have done that. Not look back at those 25+ yrs of my life? Why not? Maybe we are not to forget though. Maybe we represent "a story that must be told." That is my resolve.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Yes. I was baptized in 1970. Very different questions then.

And I totally get the difficulty as we attempt to move on. A whole lot of history there.

Cate

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I was born in 1962.

Totally with you about the history.

People aren't hard drives that can be reformatted.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the reminder of how close that was JFK's assassination. I'd forgotten that.

I remember the Kennedy assassination well. That week I was with my step-dad and a bunch of guys at a deer hunting camp in central Vermont. I'd never put the two dates closely together before like that.

S4

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Seeker4:

Extra points to you for remembering the exact day! Even though they drummed into our heads that this was THE most important day of our lives, I could never remember the actual day, just the month and year, and even that is not a pleasant memory! Being dipped into those pools in your 'modest' swimgear and then running back to the changeroom in front of all those onlookers, what could be worse?

• Roski
    Roski

....and I was baptised the day he was assassinated - guess I have a birthday coming up too.

• watson
    watson

I was roasting at the Rosebowl in '63. All of 5 anos. Knorr, Franz.....wow, what a time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit