Do JW's assist "worldy" people after natural disasters such as Katrina?

by gaiagirl 4 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

When New Orleans was flooded, did JW's in the area or from out of town gather to help those who were not JW's? Or were there efforts focused only on Kingdom Halls and the homes of JW's?

• blondie
    blondie

Only if they were married to a jw or studying and coming to meetings or there was a PR opportunity. The idea is that they can go to the authorities for help.

There is also the concept promoted by the WTS that other religions don't help their own or others. I witnessed 2 busloads of Baptists come up from down south to help a Lutheran church rebuild after a catastrophic flood, helped people rebuild their homes and their church and see the national Lutheran organization GIVE money (not loan) to that church. Unaffected Lutheran churches in the area have been donating money to affected churches as well.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Jehovah's Witnesses consider it a superior sort of help to share the "truth" before bread. I just finished a word search on the WT CD, and most references to neighbours remind the Witness to be honest and fair in their dealings, and to be a good example. Little is said on how close they may be, or what sort of practical helps they may provide.

As you read this article, you are benefiting from another example of the Golden Rule at work. Jehovah’s Witnesses realize that today many people suffer hopelessly and helplessly. Because of this, the Witnesses voluntarily take positive action to help others to learn about the hope and the practical direction found in the Bible. Watchtower December 1, 2001, "The Golden Rule - It Is Practical"

• bobld
    bobld

They sure do at least in their minds they think they help.Let me give you an example.9/11 WTC.an Elder told a R.C.priest he was their giving the workers hope from the Bible and that soon Gods kingdom would bring peace to the world.Than he asked what the priest was he doing there,the priest answered sheepishly as he wlked away 'I am bring water for the workers".Now you tell me who helps worldy people after disasters.

Just a thought about your Q.what are worldy people?Are not all people from planet earth or are JW from some plave else.

Bob

PS The R.C. donated over $20,000,000 plus food and clothes to the victums of 9/11.

• halcyon
    halcyon

I'm not trying to be trivial, but in my experience, "rendering help to neighbors" seems to mean, "I have a chain saw and have finished my work in the JW yard, here let me help you get these big pieces cut in your neighbor's yard."

As far as coming in with a building crew and actually rebuilding a whole worldly person's house, or giving resources indiscriminately to whoever shows up first regardless of religion, not so much, unless a worldly person seeks them out and specifically asks.

I don't have a whole lot of experience outside of local storm cleanup, but in that experience things were organized around JW needs FIRST.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit