Grumpy Christmas Memories

by Devilsnok 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

I was chatting to a mate last night about Christmas as a JW and about how unfair it all is when you consider the rest of the Christian world is off celebrating and having fun and we were all playing the Christmas grump.
    Have you got any stories about your rotten Christmas’s ?

In my late teens I was working as a postman and as part of my round I had to deliver to a convent full of nuns. One Christmas eve I dropped off the nuns mail and was told that the priest wanted to see me, now being a typical dub I wasn’t happy about having to deliverer to a bunch of nuns in the first place. I wasn’t happy about being made to wait around for a priest and tried to get away but the nun was quiet insistent that I wait for the priest. The priest turned up and instead of telling me off for something (dubby guilty conscience) he tried to give me a Christmas box (That’s a yearly tip for all you confused Americans)

I refused to take the money off of him and he wanted to know why so i kinda gave him a blanket “ I don’t celebrate Christmas and want nothing to do with it because of my religious views, so I can’t take your money” So he tried to talk me around and even suggested I put the money in the contribution box at the hall.

I had been kept waiting for the priest, I was in a convent full of nuns and being hassled by a priest and I was feeling really uncomfortable and a bit pissed off that I was being forced into acting against my religion by a priest. Eventually I snapped, he asked me to explain why I wouldn’t take the money and I gave him both barrels. I explained to him that he represented “Babylon the great, the world of false religion and that it was lead by Satan and that soon it and him would be destroyed by Jehovah.” Tact wasn’t my strong point.

He was silenced as I handed him back his money and I started walking for the door. As I got to the door to make my escape I heard him utter under his breath “you little bastard”

I scored big points down the hall with that account, I’d made a stand for Jehovah, witnessed to a priest and gotten a priest to swear at me lol

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not especially grumpy, but I did have a couple of them that were totally wasted. The first time, it was at a hounder's house--the humanoid that "studied" with me dragged me there to make sure I would not worship the sun that day. That was wasted watching a video (not a Christmas video, either) and watching the place not having any decorations whatsoever.

The other time, I wasted the night there after going to their book study. The only thing that saved me from field circus that day was that the father had to work on account of an unexpected snow. It was enough that he had to go into work, sparing me the drudgery of going out in field circus on Christmas Day. We did waste the time going to the a$$embly hell and to another kingdumb hell, which was a complete waste of my time.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'As I got to the door to make my escape I heard him utter under his breath “you little bastard”'

Kinda funny and sad. The priest was trying to do something nice, and he get judgement delivered on him. I would have done the same thing, though.

For me, it was sitting out christmas parties and singsongs at school. Not getting any gifts, stuff like that. It was tough.

S

• yknot
    yknot

The only bad memories I have of Xmas are those from being forced to participate and my personal beliefs being dismissed. Perhaps it would have been different if someone had attempted to debunk the WTS view but all I got was shut-up and do as your told......

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

I was working for a brother one xmas as a bricklayer, everyone else that worked for him was in the world. Christmas eve arrived and half of the blokes didn't turn up for work and the rest were told they could go at 12 to go off and do some last minute christmas shopping. Stupid here had to stay and do a full days work though because my loving "brother" explained that as I didn't celebrate xmas I didn't have to go anywhere to do any last minute shopping.

So I was sent off to do a one man job, building a car parking porch outside someones house. 12.o'clock arrived and with it my grumpy mood, everyone else had gone off to do their shopping or to pub, even Jim my boss disapeared for the rest of the afternoon but muggins here had to work. I got grumpier and grumpier that afternoon, I hated working by myself and I really resented everyone else being allowed to go home.

Around 4 it was too dark to work and I started to pack up to go home, I had been stewing all afternoon and i was in a really foul mood. The guy who's house i was working on came outside to see me and wish me a happy christmas (lol) It was like a red flag to a bull, I let him have it with both barrels. I exploded at him and told him that I don't celebrate christmas. He was really startled by my outburst and the way that I'd said it and I smuggly though "That'll teach you not to say stupid things" but he came back with a classic line that made me laugh "Errr what are you then a muslim?"

• Mary
    Mary
    Devilsnok said: He was silenced as I handed him back his money and I started walking for the door. As I got to the door to make my escape I heard him utter under his breath “you little bastard”

Ya but come on......it's been a week since that happened. Time to move on.

altalt

I remember in Grade 3 being the only kid in class who (naturally), didn't get anything for Christmas and as we all know, kids are cruel creatures. I was made fun of by several kids but one in particular was really being nasty. I countered by telling her that there was no Santa----it was her parents lying to her and putting the presents under the tree. She started crying and I felt a squeamish sense of retribution as I told her she was going to be destroyed at Armageddon for celebrating Christmas.

I relayed the story at the Bookstudy and everyone laughed their heads off and told me how 'proud' they were that I had been 'loyal to Jehovah', even at such a young age. In truth I didn't care at all about 'being loyal'------I was simply retaliating for being bullied over something that I desperately wanted to participate in.

• Devilsnok
    Devilsnok

I hated that period coming up to Christmas and after it when school started again. Leading up you had all those adverts on Tv for new must have toys and you'd get those materialistic little bastards going on and on about what they were getting for xmas. " What are you getting matt, oh NOTHING" then you'd get comments like "your parents dont like you (which was true) thats why you dont get anything for christmas" lol. Once christmas was over and we were back at school the first couple of days would be full of stories about what those little bastards got for christmas.

It was all swings and roundabouts though because in secondary school I got out of doing Religious education while they all had to sit there bored titless, I was also "cool" because I got out of going to morning assembly and signing crappy hymms, the witness kids got to run riot unsupervised in the massive school library.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The priest was right,you were a little bastard!..LOL!!....Great story!.............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My Christmas grumps were as an adult, and an elder at that...Now of course we did not celebrate, but...there were the unbelieving family members to consider and of course it was not wrong to get together, was it?..If we get together we must eat , so why not have a nice meal?..The Telly was usually good as well.

So far so good, but you know what the sadistic so and so's at the Bethel do? The organise an elders "School for 2 days on Christmas day and Boxing day !..Off to the Assembly Hall on cold winters mornings, No food supplied so just your cheese sandwiches in a pack up, and hours of boring talks (and I mean boring ! no presentation or variety at these things) While the rest of the family indulged themselves....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit