Druids in the Bible?

by searcher 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• searcher
    searcher

Joshua
    24:26 And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God; and he took a great stone, and set it up there under the oak in the sanctuary of the LORD.
    24:27 And Joshua said to all the people, "Behold, this stone shall be a witness against us; for it has heard all the words of the LORD which he spoke to us; therefore it shall be a witness against you, lest you deal falsely with your God."

The above passages seem to be refering to druid practices.
    Has anyone any thoughts on this?

steve

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

The same scriptures in the Amplified Bible, regarding Joshua 24, as follows:

vs.26

And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God; and he took a great stone, and set it up there under an oak that was in [the court of] the sanctuary of the Lord.

vs.27
    And Joshua said to all the people, See, this stone shall be a witness against us; for it has heard all the words the Lord spoke to us; so it shall be a witness against you, lest [afterward] you lie[pretend] and deny your God.

Certainly nothing druid here; in fact they just got through killing off the pagan thirty-one Cannanite Kings and conquering their cities. It took them about six years to do all this.

Now they were finalizing their mutual association,

"vs. 28 So, Joshua sent the people away, evey man to his inheritance."
    They now had their promise land.

The stone [boulder] was a symbolic marker [a witness against them] for future reference to observe. It was to be a reminder that the tribes of Israel were to serve only the God of Israel and not to serve other strange gods.

This should be a reminder today for those who involve themselves in pagan religions and spiritism, to be warned and know how God feels about their serving other Gods.

• searcher
    searcher

Thomas
    Thank you for your reply and explanation.
    The words I used are from the Bible I use (RSV) and although I have never thought them to refer to Druids, I was never sure of thier meaning fully.
    Once again Thank You.
    steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit