Yankee Stadium

by coffee_black 16 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I didn't know this.... I was there...I was only 6 years old, but I remember it....

All that sport consequence, and you know what Yankee Stadium's record crowd — 123,707 — will forever be? A 1958 convention of Jehovah's Witnesses.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2008-09-17-yankee-stadium_N.htm

Coffee

• changeling
    changeling

I was there in 63. I was 4 years old.

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

I was there in 1958 - almost 10 yrs old.

All I remember about NY is how dirty it seemed. Maybe that perception was just of a child stuck in 8 full days of torment.

Wonder if that number included all the overflow crowd at Polo Grounds or just the ones in Yankee Stadium.

• watson
    watson

Those numbers are for Yankee stadium only. The combined numbers for 1958 were in the 250,000 area.

• mustang
    mustang

I was there in '58, also. I believe the number was higher, but it included the Polo Grounds AND they counted the campgrounds that had an audio feed. So, the 123K # @ Yankee Stadium would sound right, just for the Stadium. WTS always used the total number.

Mustang

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

1958..Me too..Just a toddler..But..I remember.............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Gram
    Gram

I was there in 58. I was 11. I remember taking the subway from our hotel. Coming back at night, scary, dark, late, with my grandmother. Someone threw a peach pit, at us? on the street? We were afraid and started running toward our hotel several blocks away. Did not go to the Polo Grounds, but stayed at the Stadium. I remember the long long line of portapots and drinking fountains.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was there all 8 days. I was 14. The whole experience was unforgettable.

This is a picture I took there. One of many.

• uninformed
    uninformed

My wife, Karen, was down on the field on some of those days. She was 13.

If I remember, the attendance of Yankee Stadium and Polo Grounds was 263,000. Could remember wrong.

Brant

• blondie
    blondie

*** jv chap. 17 p. 274 Conventions Proof of Our Brotherhood ***For their largest convention, in New York in 1958, it was necessary to use not only Yankee Stadium but also the nearby Polo Grounds as well as overflow areas outside the stadiums to accommodate the convention crowds. On the final day, when every seat was filled, special permission was granted to use even the playing field of Yankee Stadium, and what a thrilling sight it was as thousands streamed in, removed their shoes, and sat on the grass! The count showed 253,922 in attendance to hear the public discourse. A further evidence of Jehovah’s blessing on the ministry of his servants was seen when 7,136 at this convention symbolized their dedication by water immersion—well over twice the number that were baptized on the historic occasion of Pentecost 33 C.E., as reported in the Bible!—Acts 2:41.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit